Continuing its powerhouse run at worldwide turnstiles, Shah Rukh Khan espionage actioner Pathaan has topped the global box office century mark, getting there in 12 days on Sunday and now with $103.6M through Monday. It is the first Bollywood movie to the $100M milestone without a China release.
The split sits at 526 gross crore ($64.2M) in India and $39.4M from overseas markets through Monday. Already, the Siddharth Anand-directed pic is the biggest Bollywood movie ever globally in the original Hindi language.
This is where it gets slightly confusing in terms of the records posted. Aamir Khan-starrers Dangal and Secret Superstar , both Bollywood titles, remain ahead of Pathaan on a worldwide basis, but that includes over $100M each from China where the movies were dubbed for local audiences. Similarly, Bajrangi Bhaijaan , which stars Salman Khan who also appears in Pathaan , is still ahead globally having had a dubbed China release. There is no word yet on a China window for Pathaan .
In India, where box office is measured in both gross and net, Yash Raj Films reports that Pathaan 's 438.5 crore net takings surpassed the net of KGF 2 's Hindi dubbed version (it was originally in the Kannada language) on Monday. Next ahead of Pathaan on a net basis is Baahubali 2 with a 510 crore ($61.7M) lifetime in Hindi (it was originally in Telegu). Whichever way you slice it, Pathaan , which also stars Deepika Padukone and John Abraham, is having an incredible ride.
The lead offshore market is North America with $14.3M through Sunday. It will surpass RRR this week, while it is estimated it could overtake Baahubali 2 to become the biggest Indian movie ever there — it is already the top Hindi title.
In the UAE and Gulf States, the gross is $11.4M through Sunday. In the UAE it is the highest-grossing Indian film ever.
As of Sunday, the UK has grossed $4.15M, making Pathaan the first Indian film to ever cross £3M ($3.6M). On Monday, exhibitor Vue International's Group Regional Director of Content, Eduardo Leal, praised the success, saying the chain has seen "huge audience demand for Pathaan … Not only has the film broken box office records in its home market of India, but it is also breaking records globally, delivering the biggest opening week on record for a South Asian film in the UK… Pathaan is already almost twice as popular as the next best performing South Asian titles – Dhoom 3 and My Name is Khan . At Vue, we continue to show diverse content, providing entertainment for a broad range of interests and demographics."
In Australia through Sunday, Pathaan counted A$4.1M ($2.8M) and is the leading Indian movie ever in the market, overtaking RRR and becoming the first to cross A$4M. New Zealand also counts Pathaan as the top Indian title of all time with NZ$1.18M ($745K).
Yash Raj celebrated the success on social media today:
Up ahead, Pathaan has a fairly clear run in the home market until Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania releases on February 17.
- Happy Birthday Shah Rukh Khan: Fans pour in love and wishes for their superstar on social media
- Captain Marvel's Box Office Numbers Are Really Huge, Here's How Much It Made
- Russian immigrant Egis Klimas makes successful transition from boxes to boxing
- Week in Wrestling: Rey Mysterio discusses Lucha Underground, top three wrestlers
- 2018 IPL: 5 possible replacements for KKR pacer Mitchell Starc
- IPL 11: Sunil Narine’s participation confirmed by KKR director Venky Mysore
- IPL 2018, KKR vs MI: Twitter erupts as Ishan Kishan hits a 17-ball half century
- Freddie Flintoff suggests all the Australia cricket team knew of ball-tampering in the Tests against South Africa
- Why diet like Kohli when you can hit longer sixes than him, says overweight Shahzad
- Golovkin takes starring role again in title defense vs Wade
- The Latest: Louisville water girl recalls Ali's bouts
- The Latest: Childhood friend recalls Ali running beside bus
- The Latest: Ali admired for objection to Vietnam War
- The Latest: Daughter says Ali's heart wouldn't stop beating
- The Latest: Ali's funeral to be held Friday in Louisville
- The Latest: Family spokesman says Ali died of septic shock
- The Latest: Abdul-Jabbar recalls Ali tormenting opponents
- The Latest: Jesse Jackson calls Ali a 'social transformer'
- The Latest: LeBron James calls Muhammad Ali 'the first icon'
- The Latest: Jerry West says Ali had 'God-like presence'
Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Pathaan’ Tops $100M At Global Box Office have 703 words, post on deadline.com at February 7, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.