EXCLUSIVE: When the announcement was made in January that Emma Donoghue had developed a play (with music) of her bestselling novel Room and the acclaimed film that followed – and that the play was heading to Broadway – plenty of New Yorkers were filled with questions (Londoners and Canadians had already seen the show).
Some of the answers might be addressed in a new trailer and first-look photo provided exclusively to Deadline.
How can a stage play (with music) adapt a tale of such a troubled, harrowing story of domestic abuse, with its downbeat claustrophobia and mental cruelty, translate to a theater district more welcoming to The Music Mans and Funny Girls of the world.
With the exclusive release to Deadline today of the production's first trailer and key art, the questioners might get some hints, like the reminder that there are heavy doses of inspiration, hope and love that breathe air into Room .
Starring Tony Award winner Adrienne Warren – looking ever so much different from when we last saw her on Broadway so convincingly transformed into the iconic Tina Turner – Room tells the unnerving, if ultimately inspiring, tale of, as the official synopsis states, a kidnapped teenage girl, Ma (Warren) who has been locked for seven years inside a purpose-built room in her captor's garden. Her five-year-old son, Jack, has no concept of the world outside and happily exists inside Room with the help of Ma's games and his vivid imagination where objects like Rug, Lamp and TV are his only friends. But for Ma the time has come to escape and face their biggest challenge to date: the world outside Room.
In the new trailer, we see little of the room itself. Instead we see Warren as Ma comforting her baby as a vaguely spooky rendition of that ode to patience, "She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain When She Comes" plays on. The only glimpse of the outside world we see is sun shining through a skylight.
Room begins previews on April 3 at the James Earl Jones Theatre, with an official opening night of April 17. Tickets go on sale Monday.
Take a look at the trailer above, and the show's new poster art below.
- Remembering Adrienne Shelly, the Feminist Filmmaker Murdered in Her New York City Apartment
- Where original cast of The Railway Children are now – from naked photo row to mental breakdown due to ‘cruel’ husband
- “Appalam Overload”: Actress Nivetha Thomas Shares Photos From Her Recent Outing
- Mary Beth Peil on Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise, Chris Noth, and How Opera and Broadway Led to ‘Dawson’s Creek’ and ‘The Good Wife’
- 30 best films on Netflix to watch right now
- ‘Ozark’ Actor McKinley Belcher III Joins Broadway’s ‘Death Of A Salesman’ Revival
- Film-maker Antoine Fuqua says reuniting with Chris Pratt in 'The Terminal List' was 'divine order'
- Sofia Vergara turns 50: A look at how the star rose to fame in Hollywood
- The Handmaid’s Tale season 5 release date, cast, first-look images, and more
- Virgin River season 4 theory: Brady release confirmed as Netflix drops first-look trailer
- On Screen This July: Rocketry, Thor to Shamshera, the Most Exciting Films, Series to Look Forward To
- Freida Pinto brings Jane Austen-style film of her dreams to life in 'Mr. Malcolm’s List'
- How Amazon's Wheel of Time Adaptation Finds Its Balance | Digital Trends
- 7 new movies and TV shows on Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max and more this weekend (June 24)
- Ananya Panday performs on Pushpa’s ‘Saami Saami’ song in hotel room, celebrates IIFA night with Sara Ali Khan
- Your TV Could Look a Whole Lot Better: 9 Setting Changes for the Best Picture
- 'A restaurant is frivolous': The country fine diners looking to mean more to their community
- July 4th photo feature: These pictures over the years honor and celebrate America's independence
- To All The Boys I've Loved Before on Netflix: How to watch online - Cast, plot, and more
- ‘Severance’s Dichen Lachman, Willa Fitzgerald, Ron Perlman & Harvey Keitel To Topline Noir ‘Joe Baby’
Broadway‘s ‘Room’: First-Look Video And Photo Of Adrienne Warren In Stage Adaptation Of Acclaimed Novel And Film have 660 words, post on deadline.com at February 4, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.