Bono will be among the guests of First Lady Jill Biden at tonight's State of the Union address, joining a list that includes the U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Oksana Markarova and Paul Pelosi, the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, as well as the mother and stepfather of Tyre Nichols.
The White House cited Bono's work as an activist in the fight against HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty. Bono helped build bipartisan support for the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, which President George W. Bush announced at his State of the Union 20 years ago. Bono visited the White House in December along with other members of U2 as they were recipients of the Kennedy Center Honors.
The guests give a glimpse of topics that President Joe Biden may highlight during the address.
Also on the list: Maurice and Kandice Barron, whose daughter is a survivor of a rare form of pediatric cancer; Lynette Bonar, an enrolled member of the Navajo Nation who is an executive at Tuba City Health Care Corp.; Deanna Branch, who has worked to eradicate lead exposure after her son Aidan suffered poisoning; Kristin Christensen and Avarie Kollmar, a caregiver to her husband, who is medically retired from the Navy due to combat injuries; and Ruth Cohen, a volunteer at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum who is a survivor of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. She is a guest of Doug Emhoff, the second gentleman.
Other guests: Mitzi Colin Lopez, an advocate of comprehensive immigration reform who is a DREAMer, brought to the United States when she was a child; Maurice "Dion" Dykes, who is training to become a teacher through the Registered Apprenticeship program; Kate Foley, a 10th grade integrated manufacturing student at an Illinois high school; Darlene Gaffney, a breast cancer survivor who has become an advocate for early detection screenings; Doug Griffin, who has raised awareness about addiction after his daughter's fentanyl overdose; Saria Gwin-Maye, a Cincinnati iron worker; Jacki Lisak, a small business owner in Fort Meyers Beach who met the Bidens when they surveyed storm damage from Hurricane Ian; Harry Miller, a former college athlete who has become an advocate for mental health; Gina and Heidi Nortonsmith, plaintiffs in a Massachusetts case that led to the state becoming the first to legalize same-sex marriage; and Paul Sarzoza, owner of a cleaning and facilities services company whose business has been boosted by the recently passed CHIPS and Science Act.
More guests: Brandon Tsay, who disarmed the assailant responsible for the mass shooting last month in Monterey Park, CA; RowVaughn and Rodney Wells, Nichols' mother and stepfather; and Amanda and Josh Zurawski. Amanda Zurawski was 18 weeks pregnant when her water broke. Doctors were not able to intervene out of concerns that treatment would violate the Texas abortion ban.
The highlighting of State of the Union guests dates to 1982, when President Ronald Reagan invited Lenny Skutnik to sit in the gallery. Skutnik had recently dove into the icy waters of the Potomac to save a passenger from a plane crash.
- Hands off my Joe! Incredible moment Jill Biden threw herself in front of lunging vegan protester to protect her husband during his Super Tuesday victory speech
- Jill Biden Helps Stop Heckler at Husband Joe's Campaign Event: 'I'm a Good Philly Girl,' She Jokes
- Jill Biden Forcefully Blocked Protesters at Joe Biden's 'Super Tuesday' Rally in California
- Joe Biden’s Wife Attends #RedforEd Teachers Event in Illinois Ahead of Primary
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by the APTA - Biden riding high as Sanders laments Super Tuesday
- Biden Sends ‘Formal Request’ for US Secret Service Protection – Report
- Joe Biden supported India-US nuclear deal, Bernie Sanders didn’t
- Ex-vice president Joe Biden wins Michigan, Mississippi and Missouri primaries
- The Hill's Morning Report — Presented by the APTA — Now it's Biden vs. Bernie: no endorsement from Warren
- NEA Endorses ‘Former School Bus Driver’ Joe Biden for President
- Amy Klobuchar Accidentally Tells Campaign Crowd She’ll Be Biden’s VP, Receives Applause
- Catastrophe for Elizabeth Warren who fails to even win her own state of Massachusetts as Donald Trump mocks: 'She can just sit back and have a nice cold beer!'
- Hillary Clinton tells Jimmy Fallon that Joe Biden is a 'deeply decent person' and the 'opposite of what we have in the White House' as she praises his 'very exciting' Super Tuesday success
- Despite Coronavirus Concerns, Joe Biden Sets Philly Event Tonight; Axed Cleveland Rally On Super Tuesday II
- Biden faces test on path to nomination: Bringing Sanders' supporters with him
- Joe Biden's campaign shrugs off 'desperate smear' by Donald Trump after president questions former veep's 'cognitive decline' by retweeting Green Party 2016 presidential candidate Jill Stein
- Mike Bloomberg QUITS 2020 race after disastrous Super Tuesday saying winning is 'impossible' after spending $1 BILLION for just 44 delegates - and immediately endorses Joe Biden, while Elizabeth Warren 'assesses her path forward'
- Late-Night Hosts React to Super Tuesday Results, Biden's "Crazy Comeback"
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: What to know about Tuesday's primaries in 6 states
- 'There's something going on there': Trump mocks Joe Biden for mistakenly calling this week's primary 'Super Thursday' and for saying he was 'running for the US Senate'
Bono Will Be Among First Lady Jill Biden’s Guests At State Of The Union have 855 words, post on deadline.com at February 7, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.