A new musical featuring the music and lyrics by Alicia Keys , and apparently based on the R&B singer-songwriter's young life, is in development at New York's Off Broadway Public Theater .
The production, titled Hell's Kitchen after the Manhattan neighborhood where Keys was raised, has some high-profile names attached. According to an Actors' Equity audition call sheet posted this week, Michael Greif ( Rent, Next to Normal, Dear Evan Hansen ) is attached to direct, with a book by Kristoffer Diaz (the Public's 2019 stage adaptation of Disney's Hercules ) and choreography by Camille A. Brown ( for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf, Choir Boy ).
Though casting hasn't been announced, most if not all of the lead roles have already been filled, including the roles of Ali, "a strong, stubborn girl with a rebellious streak" apparently based on Keys, Jersey, "Ali's mother, raising her as a single mom," and Davis, Ali's father. Also cast are a love interest and various friends and neighbors.
The synopsis describes Hell's Kitchen as a "new musical that tells the story of Ali, a young girl growing up in NYC's Hell's Kitchen in the 1990s."
Although the Equity info doesn't list a production date, "development dates" are listed as three weeks this year falling within a May 24 and June 18 window.
The Public would not provide additional information on the project, with a rep saying the company does not comment on projects in development. Broadway World was the first to report the casting notice.
- Sicily Osteria In New York’s Theater District Would Be Just As At Home In Palermo Or Taormina
- Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz Sell New Jersey Mansion at a Huge Discount
- How Alicia Keys is expanding her brand mindfully
- Culture Kattas over Concrete: What Indian Cities Can Learn from New York, London, Paris
- Disney To Film Marvel Series For Netflix In New York As Part Of Multimillion-Dollar Incentive Package
- Jan. 12 Coronavirus updates: New York Mets stadium to become vaccination site
- Catching Up With Visionary Theater Artist Shaina Taub
- Why Did ‘Dreamer’ Musical Backers Also Fund Anti-Immigrant Politicians?
- Covid hit Nashville hard. Now the performing arts are staging a comeback
- How to watch, live-stream of "Ann Morrison: Merrily From Center Stage"
- This Multi-hyphenate Actress/Writer Not Only Has A Writing Deal For DC, She Also Has A New Off-Broadway Play
- [CELEB] WJSN's Yoo takes the stage in 'Lizzie,' a rock 'n' roll musical
- MTV Video Music Awards: Lil Nas X, Justin Bieber Enthrall with Their Rocking Performances
- After 140 Years, The Actors Fund Solves An Identity Crisis With New Name: Entertainment Community Fund
- Paolo Nutini announces his first album in eight years as he returns with two new songs
- 'A Strange Loop' is Broadway's best new musical
- Denver drag queen Willow Pill is the new champion of “RuPaul’s Drag Race”
- Power-crazed Putin now seizes Russian bank accounts in new crackdown
- In Opinion: Why are we fascinated by truly terrible public performances?
- Overwatch 2 patch notes: new Scoreboard is a game changer
Alicia Keys Stage Musical ‘Hell’s Kitchen‘ In Development At New York’s Public Theater have 519 words, post on deadline.com at February 7, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.