UPDATE , with press conference : The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has released photos and a description of the man suspected in the shooting deaths of five men and five women last night in Monterey Park in an area that had hosted a Lunar New Year's eve celebration.
At least ten additional victims were transported to local hospitals, and are listed in various conditions from stable to critical.
The shooting occurred at 10:20 p.m. Saturday on West Garvey Avenue following a major festival for Asian communities. A subsequent incident occurred about 20 minutes later when an armed man entered a dance hall in the nearby city of Alhambra. That man was disarmed by others inside the hall and fled before police arrived. Police now suspect the two incidents are related.
The surveillance photos were taken at the dance hall incident. Luna said in a tweet that authorities had identified him as a homicide suspect.
Meanwhile, SWAT teams in Torrance, California, have surrounded a white van outside a shopping center that looks similar to a "van of interest" in the shootings, LA Sheriff Robert Luna said at a press conference shortly after 12:30 p.m. Luna said a person is believe to be barricaded inside the van, but could not confirm that the man is connected to the shooting.
As the situation in Torrance is unfolding live on news broadcasts, police have now opened a door to the van, with media reports suggesting officials heard a gunshot and possibly consider the person in the van to be deceased. The person's condition has not been confirmed.
Said Luna earlier, "Could it be our suspect? Possibly." Luna said authorities are withholding the suspect's name at this point. He also said that police do not believe the shooter used a high-powered assault weapon, despite earlier media reports.
In an earlier bulletin, Luna said authorities were searching for an Asian man between 30 to 50 years old, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds. He is thought to have been wearing a black leather jacked, a beanie and glasses.
The City of Monterey Park canceled the second day of its Lunar New Year festival.
- Albertville shooting live updates – ‘Mass shooter kills 2 & hurts 2’ after opening fire at Mueller Co factory in Alabama
- N.S. mass shooter intended to kill ‘at least five others.’ Court documents lay out massacre from RCMP’s perspective
- Virginia Beach mass shooter ‘fixated’ on workplace grievances, FBI says
- San Jose Mass Shooting Update: 10 Dead Including Gunman At VTA Rail Yard; Victims Identities Released
- 20 Dead, 26 Wounded in El Paso Walmart Shooting -- Single Shooter in Custody
- Trump's church photo op prompts withdrawal of interstate police sent to DC to help with protests
- ‘Testilying’ by Police: A Stubborn Problem
- As demand for police reform grows, military equipment program faces new scrutiny
- Dozens dead in worst mass shooting in US history
- 'Cyberpunk 2077' Update 1.2 Adds Improvements to Quests and More - Patch Notes
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES MAY 23 (Updated hourly)
- San Jose Shooting Live Updates: Gavin Newsom Calls for Gun Reform After 8 Killed at VTA Light Rail Yard
- Special Weapons and Tactics officers secure luxury mansion in Pattaya area, two officers reportedly shot by foreign national
- Boulder mass shooting: Chilling police audio captures terror as gunman kills 10
- Colorado Springs shooter who killed 6 at party had “displayed power and control issues,” police say
- Victims, shooter identified in Bay Area’s deadliest mass shooting
- Second child abduction attempt at park where Line of Duty star Sherise Blackman’s son, 11, was chased by two hooded men
- Eight People Died In A Mass Shooting At A FedEx Facility In Indianapolis
- Kevin Durant and (Possibly) the Greatest Basketball Team of All Time
- Police using stun grenades, tear gas, rubber bullets to disperse crowds at protests across US
Police Release Photos Of Suspected Monterey Park Mass Shooter; Tactical Teams Surround Van In Torrance – Update have 618 words, post on deadline.com at January 22, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.