Asian and Asian American Pacific Islander representation prevailed at this year's Oscar nominations, fueled largely by A24's indie event, Everything Everywhere All at Once with 11 noms . The breakthrough comes in the wake of Parasite 's 6 Oscar noms/4 wins in 2020, and Minari 's six Oscar noms/one win.
Malaysian-born Michelle Yeoh made history as the first Best Actress Asian nominee for Everything Everywhere All at Once . Yeoh played Evelyn Wang in the film, an immigrant laundromat owner, who together with her husband Waymond Wang (Ke Huy Quan) battles across the multiverse for the soul of their daughter, Joy Wang ( Stephanie Hsu ).
Diversity in the the Best Actress category has been slim throughout AMPAS history with Halle Berry the only winner. While hardly a dozen Black women were nominated for Best Actress, there have been just four Latina/Hispanic. This morning also saw the first actress of Cuban descent, Ana de Armas, making waves in the category for Blonde.
RELATED: Oscar Nominations 2023: Deadline's Complete Coverage
Both Quan and Hsu broke through in their respective supporting actor and actress categories for the film, which is the highest grossing movie ever for A24 at $104M WW. In addition the Supporting Actress category counts Thai-born actress Hong Chau from The Whale . For Hsu and Chau, it's the first time that two Asian women have been nominated in a single year in the Best Supporting Actress category. When it comes to Asians and AAPI winning in Best Supporting Actress, those Oscars went to Japanese descent Miyoshi Umeki for 1957's Sayonara and Youn Yuh-jung who became the first Korean actress to be nominated and win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for 2020's Minari .
While the Best Supporting Actor category throughout the Academy's 95-year history has included such Asian and AAPI nominees as Pat Morita for The Karate Kid, Ken Watanabe for The Last Samurai and Dev Patel for Lion, only Chinese-Cambodian decent performer Haing S. Ngor remains the first and only Asian to ever win an Oscar in the category for 1984's The Killing Fields.
RELATED: Oscars Snubs & Surprises: Tom Cruise, Viola Davis, Taylor Swift, David Bowie & Women Directors Spurned
Everything Everywhere All at Once co-director Daniel Kwan (who helmed the movie with Daniel Schneinert) counts nominations in Directing, Original Screenplay and Best Picture. Historically, the directing category counts four Asian/AAPI Oscar winners including Ang Lee (twice, for Brokeback Mountain and Life of Pi ), Bong-Joon Ho (First South Korean to win) for Parasite and Chloe Zhao for Nomadland (first Asian woman).
Everything Everywhere All at Once 's producer Jonathan Wang, who is Taiwanese American, was also recognized in the Best Picture category which has counted winners such as Zhao for Nomadland and Joon-ho and Kwak Sin-ae for Parasite.
RELATED: Oscar Best Picture Winners Through The Years — Photo Gallery
Other Asian and AAPI nominees this morning include Chinese born-Canadian Turning Red filmmaker Domee Shi in Best Animated Film category, Shirley Kurata for Best Costume Design for Everything Everywhere All at Once , Judy Chin for Make-up/hairstyling for The Whale, Japanese born-UK scribe Kazuo Ishiguro for Living in Adapted Screenplay ; two of the bandmembers from Everything Everywhere All at Once composers' Son Lux -Rafiq Bhatia and Ian Chang, All That Breathes Indian producer Aman Mann and filmmaker Shaunak Sen in Best Documentary Feature, Indian film producer Guneet Monga and Kartiki Gonsalves in Best Documentary Short for The Elephant Whisperers and Japanese born/American singer-songwriter Mitski who co-wrote Oscar-nominated original song "This Is a Life" with David Byrne and Ryan Lott from Everything Everywhere All at Once. There was also original song "Naatu Naatu," with music by M.M. Keeravaani and lyric by Chandrabose.
- : When Does Hollywood’s Diversity Become Real Representation?
- 'A lot of people are crying, I guess': Clint Eastwood blasts Oscar race row boycott as Charlotte Rampling defends her comments calling the backlash 'anti-white'
- 'It's anti-white racism': Best actress nominee Charlotte Rampling launches attack on Oscar boycott as top producer dubs protesting stars 'spoiled brats'
- EXCLUSIVE: Academy member William H. Macy says Oscars DO have a diversity problem because award panel is 'mostly a bunch of white guys'
- Oscar Futures: Is Tom Hanks’s Long Oscar Drought Over for Good?
- ‘Build an Inclusive Government’: Asian Americans Urge for More Representation in Biden’s Cabinet
- Anoushka Shankar on her album Love Letters Grammy nomination: I jumped around with my kids a little
- Oscars 2021 Will Not Be A Virtual Affair, Academy Denies Zoom Premiere
- 'We got away with it': Sacha Baron Cohen reveals wife Isla Fisher helped him sneak Ali G costume into Oscars despite his controversial alter-ego being banned
- Black leaders express concerns about representation in Biden administration
- Do Diverse Corporate Boards Lead to a Fairer Workplace?
- Westworld and SNL lead Emmy Award nominations with 22 nods... while Veep, Stranger Things and Big Little Lies earn big too
- With red carpets rolled up, the Oscar race goes virtual
- Elliot Page, Laverne Cox and others show diversity in Hollywood is about more than race
- Crazy Rich Asians star Henry Golding admits he's put his former career as a hairdresser to good use by helping wife Liv Lo with her style during lockdown
- What Biden's cabinet picks really say about diversity
- Irina Shayk turns the streets of New York City into her personal runway as she models chic white boots while with her daughter Lea
- Joe Biden’s drive for diversity in top political jobs is only an illusion of change
- Oscar-Nominated Actor Taraji P. Henson Signs With M88
- Biden defends Cabinet choices after criticism: 'Most diverse Cabinet' in history
Oscar Diversity: Asian & AAPI Representation Turn Up Big In Nominations have 927 words, post on deadline.com at January 20, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.