UPDATE: At least 10 people have been killed in a shooting late Saturday following a large Lunar New Year celebration in the east Los Angeles community of Monterey Park , police have confirmed.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said the shooting happened at a business on West Garvey Avenue in Monterey Park, and the gunman, who is male, is still at large.
According to multiple media reports, the shooting happened in Monterey Park just after 10 pm following a large Lunar New Year celebration festival, with one witness telling the LA Times that they believed the shooting happened at a local dance club.
LA City Controller Kenneth Mejia, an official in the local Los Angeles government, posted a tweet sharing condolences after the news broke.
"Our hearts go out to those who lost loved ones tonight in our neighboring city, Monterey Park, where a mass shooting just occurred," he tweeted. "Monterey Park is home to one of the largest Asian communities in Los Angeles County, and many were out celebrating the Lunar New Year."
Many details about the shooting remain unclear. A witness named Seung Won Choi, who owns a restaurant in the vicinity of the shooting, told the LA Times that three people "rushed" into his restaurant and told him to lock his door.
The newspaper continues to report that the people told Choi that there was a shooter with a machine gun and multiple rounds of ammunition in the area.
Earlier in the day, thousands of people had gathered in Monterey Park for the Lunar New Year festival. Saturday was the start of the two-day festival, and it is one of the largest Lunar New Year events in Southern California , AP reported.
The Monterey Park government website says that past Lunar New Year events in Monterey Park have "drawn crowds estimated at over 100,000 visitors per day from all over the Southern California area."
- Model says her 'face is a mess' after 'being attacked twice' on New Year's night out
- Deputy PM congratulates Khmer people on traditional New Year festival
- UK coronavirus death toll rises to 281 with 48 more victims in ONE day with 5,683 cases as seven people die in Wales and new deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Horoscope 2020: Astrological predictions for the New Year 2020, what’s in store for Leo, Virgo, Scorpio, Sagittarius and other zodiac signs
- Western Australia joins Queensland in easing tough coronavirus restrictions - allowing non-essential shopping, picnics and water sports - as gatherings are expanded to permit up to 10 people
- 'Out of the pot, into the FIRE': British Wuhan evacuee, 38, who cried 'we're free' as he left Arrowe Park quarantine now wishes he'd never left China
- UPDATE 2-Smith+Nephew forecasts sales growth after best year since 2010
- California pastors’ request to allow in-person worship is denied by federal judge
- Column: Do people in L.A. hug too much? The New York Times thinks so
- Two more California counties to defy stay-at-home order, allowing businesses to open Monday
- California population growth slowest since 1900 as residents leave, immigration decelerates
- Celebrities and public figures pay their respects to Jo Cox
- California reopening would start slow, not be complete for a year or longer, expert estimates
- Coronavirus updates: More than 4 million in California file for unemployment
- Coronavirus live updates: Oakland isolates homeless, health-compromised people in trailers
- Thousands of New Yorkers leave lockdown to bask in 70 degree sunshine, as three are arrested and NYPD issue dozens of summons over social-distancing violations in NYC parks
- Coronavirus live updates: Apple still holding annual developer conference — but virtually
- Coronavirus live updates: San Francisco’s Airbnb lays off 1,900 — a quarter of its staff
- California independent contractors struggle for unemployment help amid coronavirus
- California faces growing pressure to ease stay-at-home rules, at least in some regions
Monterey Park: At Least 10 People Killed In Shooting Following Lunar New Year Celebration In California — Update have 611 words, post on deadline.com at January 22, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.