Earlier this week, James Cameron 's Avatar : The Way of Water became the No. 5 highest-grossing movie ever worldwide, and, as expected, has now surfed to the No. 4 position on the all-time chart. In so doing, it leaves Star Wars: The Force Awakens in its wake with nearly $2.075B globally.
Through Friday, the worldwide gross on the 20th Century Studios / Disney /Lightstorm epic Avatar sequel is $2,074.8M , overtaking Force Awakens ' $2.071B. This means that Cameron has three of the top four movies ever globally alongside the original Avatar at No. 1 and Titanic at No. 3. Avatar: The Way of Water will top Titanic in the coming week or so on a global basis. However, Paramount is doing a Titanic domestic rerelease in time for Valentine's Day, and Disney is also handling offshore before Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania gets going, so there could be some jockeying ahead as we noted on Thursday.
For Disney, the recent Avatar milestones mean the studio has released three of the top five global titles ever (including Avengers: Endgame at No. 2, while Fox back in the day, before it was under the Disney umbrella, released the first Avatar ).
At the international box office , Best Picture Oscar nominee Way of Water is still No. 4 of all time with $1,466.3M through Friday. Domestically, it is No. 13 at $608.5M.
Through Friday, the sci-fi adventure's top overseas markets are: China ($235.4M), France ($133.2M), Germany ($120.2M), Korea ($101.5M), the UK ($83.5M), India ($58.3M), Australia ($57.5M), Mexico ($52.3M), Spain ($48.1M) and Italy ($45.8M).
- PARCHED: Climate change and growth are pushing Colorado toward a water crisis
- Holiday movie guide: From 'The Grinch' to 'Mary Poppins,' 32 movies to see by year's end
- Movie guide: 'Mid90s,' 'Johnny English,' 'Can You Ever Forgive Me?' open this weekend
- Viola Davis, Ryan Gosling And Natalie Portman Usher In Fall Movie Season
- Movie guide: 'Smallfoot,' 'Night School,' 'Sisters Brothers' opening this weekend
- Movie guide: 'Halloween,' 'Beautiful Boy,' 'The Oath' opening this weekend
- How Will the World End? Experts Reveal Nine Most Likely Ways Humans Will Be Wiped Out
- Summer movie winners and losers: Everything we loved (Tom Cruise) and loathed ('Gotti')
- Survivors scramble for food and water in the wake of Hurricane Michael
- Post-in the wake of kavanaugh
- ‘So much water.’ Trump moves to slash environmental rules on Delta, putting farms before fish
- VENICE UNDER WATER: 70% of city covered by flooding
- US storm leaves 'unimaginable destruction'
- California moves toward requiring 100 percent clean power by 2045
- Donald Trump moved FEMA funds to ICE at start of hurricane season
- Scarlett Johansson reportedly lands $20 million movie deal
- Florence lumbers inland, leaving five dead, communities flooded
- A Lousy Week Gives Way to a Brilliant Weekend
- Drug cartels are murdering their way into Mexico’s gas industry
- Florence plows inland, leaving five dead, states flooded
‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ Moves Up To No. 4 Biggest Movie Ever Global, Leaving ‘Force Awakens’ In Its Wake have 458 words, post on deadline.com at January 28, 2023. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.