The National Board of Review today named the top-grossing film of 2022 as its Best Film of the year.
" Top Gun: Maverick is a thrilling crowd-pleaser that is expertly crafted on every level," said NBR President Annie Schulhof . " Tom Cruise , Joseph Kosinski and the entire filmmaking team have succeeded in making an incredibly popular film that brought audiences back to theaters, while at the same time being a full-on cinematic achievement."
The news comes about an hour after the PGA announced Maverick star Tom Cruise as the 2023 recipient of its David O. Selznick Achievement Award , its highest film honor. See NBR's list of the year's 10 best films and its other award winners below.
Elsewhere, Steven Spielberg was named Best Director for his semi-autobiographical The Fabelmans, Colin Farrell won Best Actor for The Banshees of Inisherin both — following his win at the Gotham Awards last week — and Michelle Yeoh took Best Actress for Everything Everywhere All at Once. She lost the Gotham Award to Till star Danielle Deadwyler, who picked up NBR's Breakthrough Performance prize today along with Fabelmans actor Gabriel LaBelle.
Screenplay prizes went to Martin McDonagh for The Banshees of Inisherin (original) and All Quiet on the Western Front 's Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson and Ian Stokell (adapted).
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On named Best Animated Feature , Sr. won Best Documentary, and the International Film honor went to Belgium's Oscar entry Close.
Here are the National Board of Review's 2022 honorees:
Best Film Top Gun: Maverick
Best Director Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
Best Actor Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Best Actress Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Best Supporting Actor Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
Best Supporting Actress Janelle Monáe, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Best Original Screenplay Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Best Adapted Screenplay Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson, Ian Stokell, All Quiet on the Western Front
Breakthrough Performance Danielle Deadwyler, Till
Breakthrough Performance Gabriel LaBelle, The Fabelmans
Best Directorial Debut Charlotte Wells, Aftersun
Best Animated Feature Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Best International Film Close
Best Documentary Sr.
Best Ensemble Women Talking
Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography Claudio Miranda, Top Gun: Maverick
NBR Freedom of Expression Awards
All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
Top Films (in alphabetical order):
Avatar: The Way of Water
The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
The Woman King
Top 5 International Films (in alphabetical order)
All Quiet on the Western Front
Decision to Leave
Top 5 Documentaries (in alphabetical order)
All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
All That Breathes
Turn Every Page – The Adventures of Robert Caro and Robert Gottlieb
Top 10 Independent Films (in alphabetical order)
Emily the Criminal
The Eternal Daughter
A Love Song
- Tom Cruise: Top Gun Maverick surprise major cameos from original movie and shock death
- Top Gun: Maverick Takes Off to Become Tom Cruise's Box Office Best
- Top 10 Hollywood Movies In The First Half Of 2022: Top Gun Maverick, The Batman, Turning Red & More
- The most important 'Top Gun: Maverick' moment nearly every moviegoer missed
- Notes On The Season: How Cannes Began The Oscar Race With ‘Top Gun’, ‘Elvis’, ‘Triangle Of Sadness’ & More; Plus, Emmys Heating Up
- Minions: The Rise of Gru film review – This cheerful barrage of madness is far from Despicable
- ‘Rise Of Gru’ Review: ‘Despicable Me’ Prequel Overshadows ‘Minions’ Sequel
- Tom Cruise at 60: Six of his best movies (and where you can watch them right now)
- Outfest Rounds Out Lineup For Its 40th Los Angeles LGBTQ+ Film Festival
- Hustle movie review: Adam Sandler has all the right moves in Netflix’s solid sports film
- Elvis film review: This high-speed spin through the first 20 years of Elvis’s life is well worth a watch
- Rashtra Kavach Om Film Review: A Poorly Written Film That Aditya Roy Kapur Cannot Save
- Oscars Predictions: Best Picture — Could ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Sustain Its Oscar Buzz for Six More Months?
- Brad Pitt, Juliette Binoche and Slew of New Talent Lead Locarno Film Festival Lineup
- JugJugg Jeeyo box office: Varun Dhawan-Kiara Advani film’s fate depends on small towns, will audience bless it?
- All the best boxsets to binge on Paramount Plus as it launches in the UK – including Yellowstone and Halo
- Jeff Goldblum Delights With Piano Skills and ‘Jurassic World’ Jokes at Intimate L.A. Show: Concert Review
- Senate makes key breakthrough on gun laws, advancing new restrictions
- ‘Dear Vikram’ movie review: A socio-political film that bites off more than it can chew
- The best comedies on Amazon Prime right now (June 2022) | Digital Trends
‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Named Best Film By National Board Of Review; Spielberg, Farrell, Yeoh Among Honorees have 782 words, post on deadline.com at December 8, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.