The Woman King headlined the African American Film Critics Association's annual list of the top 10 films of the year. The film, directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, boasts an ensemble cast led by Viola Davis which includes Lashana Lynch, Sheila Atim, and Thuso Mbedu as the Agojie, an all-female army of fierce warriors. John Boyega also stars as King Ghezo.
"The best films of this year prove that diverse stories – the true and the fantastical – are not only important to the culture but are equally important to the movie-making business," said AAFCA president and co-founder Gil Robertson. "Black films which make an impact on our minds and hearts are also making a sizable impact at the box office. Our top film, The Woman King bridges the gap between telling important, heartfelt stories, and providing an entertaining experience for movie-going audiences. These true tales of black empowerment and accomplishment, such as Emancipation , Devotion and Sidney , as well as fantastical tales such as Black Panther: Wakanda Forever , and Wendell & Wild invite us to experience underappreciated pieces of history along with our own imaginings."
"AAFCA is proud to honor these masterpieces, along with the rest of AAFCA's Top 10 Films of 2022, and acknowledge their indelible impact on our industry and culture."
The full list of AAFCA'S Top 10 Films of 2022:
1. The Woman King
2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
5. Emancipation & Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
8. Everything Everywhere All at Once
9. Wendell & Wild
As previously announced, AAFCA will reveal winners of the 14th Annual AAFCA Awards honoring outstanding achievement in film in 15 competitive categories on Jan. 16, 2023. An in-person celebration in Los Angeles will follow on March 1.
For more information on the AAFCA Awards and the organization's other programs and activities, visit http://AAFCA.com.
- ‘The Woman King’s Official Historian, Leonard Wantchekon, Talks Controversy And History
- Skin And Scars For An Army Of Women: Makeup Artist Babalwa Mtshiselwa On Working ‘The Woman King’
- ‘The Woman King’ Makeup, Prosthetics Artist Babalwa Mtshiselwa Talks Skin, Scars And Beauty
- The Woman King: Female focus gives the Hollywood historical epic a fresh spin
- How ‘The Woman King,’ ‘Till’ Hairstylists Use Pin Curls and Braids to Define Looks in Black Period Films
- Why The Woman King is Viola Davis' ultimate flex
- Lena Horne, a "trailblazer" of the arts, becomes first Black woman with Broadway theater named after her
- Julie Taymor Salutes Kurosawa Akira, Defends Multiculturalism Ahead of Leading Tokyo International Film Festival Jury
- The Best New Movies And Shows On Netflix Today: November 11, 2022
- Top 50 films best viewed on the big screen - Titanic and Jurassic Park top list
- Ten Empowering Films and TV Shows to Watch This International Women's Day
- What happened after Nate Parker's film career imploded
- Oscar Predictions: Best Actress – Could Jennifer Lawrence Make It Back to the Oscars for ‘Causeway?’
- For Elvis Mitchell, Critic Turned Filmmaker, a Chance to Show and Tell
- 25 Films Have Been Added to the National Film Registry
- Every Hit Added to Rolling Stone's Top-100 'Greatest Songs'
- A Definitive List of the Best Winter Albums (1989–2011)
- The Best Performances From This Year’s Toronto International Film Festival
- Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea Fest Unveils 2022 Line-Up; Sets Oliver Stone As Jury President & ‘What’s Love Got To Do With It?’ As Opening Film
- Top films to watch on big screen revealed – is your favourite on the list?
‘The Woman King Tops’ The African American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) List of the Ten Best Films of the Year have 555 words, post on deadline.com at December 8, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.