Mishal Husain said "recollections may vary" about the interview after she posed the questions in 2017 when the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced that they were getting married.
Reflecting on the exchange in her bombshell Netflix documentary, Markle said it was staged.
"It was, you know, rehearsed," she said. "So we did the thing out with the press and then we went right inside, took the coat off, sat down and did the interview. So it was all in that same moment."
Speaking in the third episode of Harry & Meghan , she added that the couple were told what to expect during the interview.
"Yeah, but also like, 'Then there'll be a moment where they'll want to see the ring, so show the ring'… We weren't allowed to tell our story because they didn't want [it]," she said.
Harry added: "We've never been allowed to tell our story."
It was not clear if the "they" she was referring to was the royal family or those involved in setting up the interview, which was screened on broadcasters around the world.
Husain was presenting BBC Radio 4's Today programme when she was confronted with Markle's allegation. She could be heard chuckling and Justin Webb, her co-presenter, joked that she was the "orchestrator".
"We know recollections may vary on this particular subject, but my recollection is definitely very much: asked to do an interview and do said interview," Husain said.
Webb replied: "You've told your truth."
Husain's comments may have been a call back to a comment made by Buckingham Palace after the Sussex's interview with Oprah Winfrey last year, during which they made allegations of racism.
"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning," the palace said. "While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."
- Meghan Markle Is Going Royal—Can Her Friends Come, Too?
- Misha Nonoo says Meghan Markle was glowing at her baby shower
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to move to Windsor's Frogmore Cottage 'within days' ahead of royal baby
- Meghan Markle branded ‘heartless’ by half-sister Samantha in blistering attack
- Meghan Markle wanted to be 'Diana 2.0,' royal biographer claims
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Lifetime Sequel: 5 Exciting New Details
- All the times Meghan and Kate have worn Princess Diana's jewelry
- Royal FURY: How the Queen was at centre of BBC row after 'misleading' advert
- Queen brings loyal lieutenant to 'keep an eye' on Meghan and Harry
- Lord Shaughnessy to play Charles in US film about Meghan's first year
- Duchess Meghan's sister apologizes but blames wedding snub for her angry insults
- Dreams could be as vital to life as breathing, scientists claim
- Fact check: Trump's and Clinton's false and misleading claims in second debate
- Louis Theroux interview: ‘Michael Jackson had unhealthy interests in children’
- British Jihadist claims he didn't know the reality of joining ISIS
- Inside the Royal Gossip Machine
- Kate and William are NOT who public think they are says royal expert - ‘VERY standoffish’
- Who was Jack the Ripper and how many victims were there in London?
- Fox & Friends' co-host Ainsley Earhardt splits from second husband
- Piers Morgan delighted at Good Morning Britain's BAFTA TV nominations
“Recollections May Vary”: BBC Journalist Responds To Meghan Markle’s Claim Engagement Interview Was “Orchestrated Reality Show” have 590 words, post on deadline.com at December 8, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.