Fresh from its success at the Cannes Film Festival where it won Best Director, Decision to Leave marks the first time a film by Park Chan-wook — long believed to be one of South Korea's finest contemporary filmmakers — has represented his country at the Oscars. A friendly rivalry with Parasite director Bong Joon-ho, who won in 2019 with the first Korean film ever to be nominated, only heightens the anticipation for its chances.
Starring Park Hae-il as Detective Jang Hae-jun and Tang Wei as the mysterious widow Song Seo-rae, Decision to Leave is a slow-burn thriller that repays repeated viewing. Speaking during a panel at Deadline's Contenders Film: International award-season event, Park laid out the film's premise.
"This is a story about a detective," he said, "and he is in charge of a case in which a man has fallen from a mountain and died, and his wife is his primary suspect. The detective meets her, and at first he is suspicious, but suspicion turns into curiosity, and curiosity turns into affection. He constantly has to ask himself: could she have committed the crime? And is he in love with her? This is how the relationship progresses—and this relationship meets a drastic ending."
Park cited Scandi-noir as an influence. "It's [firmly] in the detective genre," he said, "in that there is a mystery and there is a character who has the capacity to solve that mystery. I believe our lives are, likewise filled with mysteries, but in our own lives there's no guarantee that these mysteries will be resolved. So seeing a detective who has the capacity to solve such mysteries gives us hope."
Fanning the mystery here is China's Tang Wei, a big star in Korea since her performance in 2010's Late Autumn . "[Her character] initially appears as a very mysterious person," explained Park. "She does not reveal her true self to the audience, and so she comes off as the traditional femme fatale type from other genre films. But as we get to know her better, we realize she is different. You could can say that the part one of the film is told from the perspective of the man, and the female character is simply an object of his gaze. However, in part two, we are no longer in anyone's particular gaze, and the woman is no longer a femme fatale but a protagonist of her own love story."
Check out the panel video above.
- ‘Decision to Leave’ Returns to Cinemas With Conversation Between Park Chan-Wook and Bong Joon-Ho (EXCLUSIVE)
- Director Park Chan-wook's signature style earns him international attention
- Director Park Chan-wook travels to U.S. for Golden Globe Awards
- Park Chan-wook Talks About Taking Film Noir to New Heights With ‘Decision to Leave’
- China Suspends Visas for Japan, South Korea Over COVID-19 Testing
- ‘Decision to Leave’ Heads Asian Film Awards Nominations
- Asian Film Awards: ‘Decision to Leave’ And ‘Drive My Car’ Lead Nominations
- International Feature Focus: Why Irish Film ‘The Quiet Girl’ Is Making Noise In The Oscar Race
- These Would Be Our Oscar Nominations
- RRR: Amid Oscar Campaign, GOT7's Jackson Wang Calls Himself 'Biggest Fan' of Ram Charan-Jr NTR Film
- Oscars Predictions: Best Director – Will Women Filmmakers Find Any Love from the Branch?
- Oscars Predictions: Best Picture – A ‘Whale’ of Possibilities After PGA, DGA and SAG
- Disaster Blights Korea's Emergence from Lockdown in 2022
- The Woman King and Robert Downey Jr. documentary Sr. snubbed by Oscars 2023 shortlist... as All Quiet on the Western Front dominates
- India's Chhello Show Advances to Next Voting Round in Oscars International Feature Film Category
- 'We hope to bring Oscar home very soon'
- Malala Yousafzai Boards ‘Stranger at the Gate,’ Oscar Shortlist Film About U.S. Marine’s Conversion to Islam
- Man Utd news LIVE: Red Devils ‘bid’ for Josko Gvardiol as Kin Min-jae interest renewed – updates
- Top national stories of the year in Korea 2022
- Will These Be the 10 Best Picture Oscar Nominees?
Park Chan-wook On South Korea’s Oscar Entry ‘Decision To Leave’: “Our Lives Are Filled With Mysteries” – Contenders International have 674 words, post on deadline.com at December 3, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.