Auckland Film Studios , which recently hosted productions including Netflix's Sweet Tooth and Amazon's The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power , has opened two new sound stages as demand for physical facilities continues in the global production boom.
The two stages are both around 2,000 square metres (22,000 square feet), which means that Auckland Film Studios now has five stages totalling more than 7,500 square metres (80,700 square feet).
The year-long construction project was supported with NS$30M (US$19M) in funding from the New Zealand government, with the remaining NZ$7.5M (US$4.8M) provided by the studio's owner, Auckland Council.
Screen Auckland manager Matt Horrocks said the new stages were built to meet the growing demand of the past five years for studio space, adding that the stages are already booked, with unnamed productions due to start work in early 2023.
"Auckland has earned a reputation for the world-class studios, coupled with highly-skilled crew," Horrocks said. "These studios were designed with the input of senior screen producers who understand the needs of premium productions, making this an attractive proposition in a start-of-the-art space that is only 30 minutes' drive from the city centre and sought-after west Auckland coastline locations."
Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown said: "The two new stages mean AFS can now cater for much larger single productions, or multiple smaller productions at once. They strengthen AFS and Auckland's west as a screen destination at a time when New Zealand's global reputation for big budget productions is growing."
Sound stage space in Auckland has grown to more than 32,000 square metres (almost 345,000 square feet) in the past decade. The Auckland Film Studios expansion is expected to deliver hundreds more high-skilled screen production jobs and support the region's more than 2,000 screen production-based businesses.
The two new stages were gifted the name "Te Pūtahi'" (to join and intersect) by the local Māori community.
- Ten years of making Harry Potter films, by cast and crew
- How coronavirus has animated one section of the film industry
- Children return to school in New Zealand with parents dropping them off in 'kiss and go' zones as classes begin to reopen around the world
- Emmerdale becomes the first British soap to resume filming with a 'phased return' starting with six new episodes featuring characters in lockdown
- Devoted dad, 37, who had 'never been ill' a day in his life is diagnosed with aggressive stage four cancer after discovering a small painless lump on the back of his neck while driving home to his pregnant wife
- Horrorwood! Will the new golden age of scary movies save cinema?
- Boozy Snapchat gunman, 20, who opened fire on an Arizona mall 'wanted to harm 10 people to gain respect after being bullied', police say as he is hit with 16 charges including assault with a deadly weapon for shooting three shoppers
- Avatar Sequels Will End Two-Month Coronavirus Shutdown And Resume Production Soon
- Amazon, Netflix Planning to Restart Production in France Despite Coronavirus Challenges
- With NYC Production Stymied, Upriver Studios Is Poised To Open As Nearby Alternative
- Inside the gruelling filming of Gladiator 20 years on – from deadly drinking games to dangerous tiger attacks
- MasterChef 2020: Jock Zonfrillo said he was ‘miserable’ during filming
- Lord of the Rings show to start filming in New Zealand
- Coronavirus: Work resumes on major Hollywood films - minus the actors
- 101 Miles North Of New York, Lumberyard’s Film And TV Studio Takes Shape
- Clarke Gayford: From TV celeb to New Zealand's most-famous stay-at-home Dad
- Emmerdale and Coronation Street stars 'fear they will be axed from soaps amid the COVID-19 crisis'... as 'phased return' to filming begins in the Dales
- The Breaking Bad tours driving a tourist boom in Albuquerque
- Perry's studio moves toward reopening while industry waits
- Perry’s studio moves toward reopening while industry waits
New Zealand’s Auckland Film Studios Opens New Stages As Production Boom Continues After ‘LOTR’ & ‘Sweet Tooth’ have 626 words, post on deadline.com at December 8, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.