The family claim they were not asked for comment on the hotly-anticipated six-parter, BBC Royal Correspondent Jonny Dymond told the BBC's Today this morning, but the first episode, which dropped at 8 a.m. GMT (12 a.m. PST), starts with the disclaimer: "Members of the Royal Family declined to comment on the content within this series."
It adds: "This is a first-hand account of Harry and Meghan's story told with never before seen personal archive. All interviews were completed by August 2022."
Rumors were swirling this week over whether the Royal Family had seen the show following the release of two trailers, in which Harry spoke of "the pain and suffering of women" marrying into the Royal Family and said he would tell the full truth behind the couple's relationship with the Royal Family. The trailer has been criticized for showing misleading images and clips of paparazzi and the 'press pack'.
No immediate allegations surfaced from the show's opening episodes of the Archewell-produced series although the Duke of Sussex at one point claims: "The institution knows the full truth [about what happened to us] and the media knows the full truth, because they were in on it."
Deadline understands British public broadcasters the BBC and Channel 4 have no policy to show the Royal Family documentaries about them prior to launch, although few are as sensitive as this one.
The row has shades of that over The Princes and the Press , a BBC doc partly about Harry's relationship with William hosted by Amol Rajan that led the Royals to reportedly threaten to boycott the BBC. William was reported to have criticized the BBC for failing to give the Royals right of reply.
If the Palace does eventually respond to any allegations made, it could take a little while. When Harry and Meghan used a bombshell Oprah Winfrey interview last year to claim son Archie was subject to racism from an unidentified Royal, the Queen didn't respond for a fortnight, before stating she was concerned but "recollections may vary." The line made multiple front pages at the time. The Palace has been embroiled in a separate race row this week, when Prince William's godmother Lady Hussey had to step down from her aide role after repeatedly questioning a Black guest at a Buckingham Palace party over "where she was from."
Episodes four to six of Harry & Meghan will drop next Thursday and, by then, it is hard to imagine the extent to which this documentary will have placed the ex-Royal couple in the spotlight.
Netflix declined to comment. Deadline has also reached out to Archewell and Buckingham Palace for comment.
- Prince Harry ‘dumped Royal Family by emailing Prince Charles and the Queen’
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's future: 12 questions as the Sussexes prepare to leave the royal family
- Harry, Meghan begin new life in sunny Los Angeles; here's what that could look like
- The Meaning Behind Meghan Markle's Wedding Tiara: How It Pays Tribute to Her New Royal Family
- Prince Harry, Meghan’s new home with Indian connection cost taxpayers millions
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry 'were bullied out of the royal family,' author claims
- Prince Charles ‘to pay £2m’ of Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s security costs after Trump rules out US help in LA move
- Why Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are So at Home in Canada
- Harry and Meghan urged to pay £8million security bill as 90% of Brits and former minister ask ‘why should we foot bill?’
- How Prince Harry dumped The Firm... by emailing his father and the Queen: That’s just one of the jaw-dropping revelations about the true inside story of Megxit – by the Mail’s royal editor who knew Harry so well
- Who Is Wallis Simpson? Before Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, There Was This American Divorcée
- The Queen doesn't own the word 'Royal' and we will KEEP our HRH prefixes, say Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Couple's extraordinary claim as they complain about their treatment in sour statement after Her Majesty forced them to drop 'Sussex Royal'
- How ‘Operation Princess’ failed for Meghan Markle
- Harry and Meghan 'will do great philanthropic work', says David Furnish
- Mystery of Meghan and Harry’s final Instagram post
- Did the Queen Just Signal That ‘Harry and Meghan’ Will Lose Their Royal Titles?
- 'THEY should pay!' British taxpayers' fury as £20m bill for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's security falls entirely on UK after Canada refuses to pay it after Megxit
- Royal Concerns Over Harry’s Mental Health Bring a ‘Megxit’ Deal Closer
- Meghan Markle’s Disney debut panned by critics as ‘cheesy’
- Will Harry and Meghan get US-taxpayer funded Secret Service protection in LA? Couple will have to ask for 'special help' and the final decision could rest with President Trump as Canadians bid the couple and their security costs farewell
Netflix’s ‘Harry & Meghan’: Were The Royal Family Given Prior Sight Of The Doc? have 851 words, post on deadline.com at December 8, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.