Deadline's Contenders Film: Documentary awards-season event kicks off Sunday at 8 a.m. PT and promises to open up distant lands and even a distant planet—no passport required.
The terrain covered by the cast and creatives from our 20 participating films astonishes with its variety and range: an enclave of Delhi, India in All That Breathes , a remote section of Paraguay in Eami , and possibly an even more remote outpost of the Brazilian rainforest in Wildcat . Moscow is the ultimate destination of Navalny , the documentary about Russia's imprisoned and poisoned opposition leader, and Descendant takes us to a neighborhood of Mobile, Alabama settled by survivors of the last slave ship known to have navigated U.S. waters.
About 5,600 miles separate Moscow from Mobile, mere inches apart compared to the far-flung rendezvous point of Good Night Oppy , about NASA's incredible mission that dispatched two rovers to Mars — a voyage of roughly 35 million miles.
In a sense, Moonage Daydream ventures to outer space as well, to explore the art and music of David Bowie, the rock star known for inhabiting the guises of Ziggy Stardust and Major Tom.
Contenders Film: Documentary thrums to the sound not only of Bowie, but a contemporary classic in Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song . The beat goes on in The Return of Tanya Tucker: Featuring Brandi Carlile , Louis Armstrong's Black & Blues , and a pop star-actress who bravely shares her mental health struggles in Selena Gomez: My Mind and Me .
The panel lineup boasts some of documentary's most established talents: Oscar nominees Brett Morgen of Moonage Daydream and Tia Lessin of The Janes (co-directed with Emma Pildes). Multiple Emmy nominee Chris Smith directs Sr. , his intimate look at filmmaker Robert Downey Sr. and his relationship with his son, Robert Downey Jr. Oscar and Emmy nominee Reginald Hudlin, whose feature directing career began with the comedy House Party in 1990, turns his lens onto a Hollywood icon in Sidney , his portrait of the late Sidney Poitier.
For all the distance traveled by these films, one of our Contenders strays no further than a balcony overlooking a street in Warsaw, Poland. It's one of the stunning truths of the documentary artform that compelling experiences can spring from the unlikeliest of places.
Check out today's schedule and lineup of speakers below, and stick with Deadline all day for our panel coverage, both on the site and on social media channels via the hashtag #DeadlineContenders. And stay tuned for Wednesday, when we launch the event streaming site with the complete panel videos.
Contenders Film: Documentary 2022
8 a.m. PT – Opening remarks
SONY PICTURES CLASSICS
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song
Dan Geller (Co-Writer/Co-Director/Co-Producer/Co-Editor/Cinematographer)
Turn Every Page: The Adventures of Robert Caro and Robert Gottlieb
Lizzie Gottlieb (Director/Producer)
The Return of Tanya Tucker – Featuring Brandi Carlile
Kathlyn Horan (Writer/Director/Producer)
HBO DOCUMENTARY FILMS
All That Breathes
Shaunak Sen (Director/Producer)
38 At The Garden
Frank Chi (Writer/Director)
Emma Pildes (Co-Director/Producer)
Brett Morgen (Writer/Director/Producer/Editor)
Chris Smith (Director/Co-Cinematographer)
Margaret Brown (Director/Co-Producer)
APPLE ORIGINAL FILMS
Louis Armstrong's Black & Blues
Sacha Jenkins (Director/Producer)
Selena Gomez: My Mind and Me
Alek Keshishian (Co-Writer/Director/Producer)
Reginald Hudlin (Director/EP)
Melissa Lesh (Co-Director/Producer/Co-Editor)
Good Night Oppy
Ryan White (Co-Writer/Director/Producer)
WARNER BROS PICTURES/CNN FILMS/HBO MAX
Daniel Roher (Director)
The Corridors of Power
Dror Moreh (Director/Producer)
Paz Encina (Writer/Director/Producer)
Paula Eislet (Co-Director/Co-Producer)
The Balcony Movie
Paweł Łoziński (Writer/Director/Producer/Editor)
GUEST HOUSE PRODUCTIONS
Betsy Hershey (Co-Director/Producer)
- Deadline’s Contenders Documentary Kicks Off Today – Watch The Livestream
- Deadline Launching New Spinoff Contenders Events In 2021 Devoted To Documentary And International Films
- Deadline’s Contenders International Underway With Mads Mikkelsen & ‘Another Round’
- Director Viktor Kossakovsky Raves About ‘Gunda’s Porcine Star: She’s “Like Meryl Streep” – Contenders Documentary
- The Beatles, The Velvet Underground & Billie Eilish… Music Documentaries To Watch For In 2021
- The incredible untold story of the world’s most glamorous shark hunter who inspired the hit movie Jaws and still dives today despite being 84 - as she reveals how to survive an attack
- Zendaya, John David Washington & Director Sam Levinson Enter Awards Fray Today With Pandemic-Shot Drama ‘Malcolm & Marie’
- Notes On The Season: The New Relevance Of ‘Chicago 7’, Oscar’s International Push & Billy Crystal’s Underdog Contender
- 55 best documentaries on Netflix to watch right now
- Director Gianfranco Rosi On Capturing “Profoundly Intimate” Moments In Middle East-Set ‘Notturno’ – Contenders Documentary
- Top 20 Sports Moments of 2020: Nos. 11-15
- ‘The Mole Agent’ Director Maite Alberdi Spotlights Elder Neglect With Chilean Oscar Entry – Contenders International
- Netflix Spent a Lot of Money at the Toronto International Film Festival
- New on Disney+ Hotstar in January: ‘WandaVision’, Tiger Woods documentary, and more
- Naked Ambition: Rarely-seen images of Gypsy Rose Lee, 'the world's most famous stripper' whose life story inspired one of the greatest musicals ever written depict her candidly during her legendary carnival tour
- Sir David Attenborough may never film abroad again as flying doesn't give him 'pleasure'
- The 10 best films of 2020
- Amazon Prime Video UK January releases 2021 – new series, TV and films
- Netflix films and shows coming in January 2021
- Deadline Critic Todd McCarthy’s Top 10 Films Of 2020
Contenders Film: Documentary Kicks Off Today With 20 Titles Aiming To Expand And Explain Our Worlds have 917 words, post on deadline.com at December 4, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.