The final performance of the musical, which features a cast of young actors and actual K-pop stars including Luna, BoHyung and others, will close after its performance on Sunday, December 11, at Circle in the Square Theatre. It will have played only 17 regular performances after 44 previews.
Despite generating considerable excitement among K-pop fans, the musical has not drawn big audiences – or at least audiences paying top dollar for tickets. Last week, the show, which received mixed reviews from critics, grossed just $126,493, and although 72% of the venue's seats were filled, the average ticket price was a tiny $32.
The show began previews on Oct. 13, and officially opened Nov. 27.
For the final show, producers are offering 200 complimentary tickets to AAPI community members and youth, and plan a post-performance panel discussion with top AAPI theater artists including David Henry Hwang, the first Asian American playwright to win a Tony Award (for the landmark M. Butterfly ) and KPOP composer Helen Park.
KPOP , directed by Teddy Bergman, features a book by Jason Kim; music, lyrics, music production and arrangements by Helen Park; music and lyrics by Max Vernon; and choreography by Jennifer Weber.
In addition to Luna and BoHyung, KPOP stars stars Julia Abueva, Major Curda, Jinwoo Jung, Jiho Kang, Amy Keum, James Kho, Marina Kondo, Eddy Lee, Joshua Lee, Jully Lee, Lina Rose Lee, Timothy H. Lee, Abraham Lim, Min, Kate Mina Lin, Aubie Merrylees, Patrick Park, Zachary Noah Piser, Kevin Woo, and John Yi.
The post-show panel also will include Korean playwright Hansol Jung and actor Pun Bandhu. The final performance will be supported by TAAF (The Asian American Foundation) in collaboration with Gold House, AAPAC (Asian American Performers Action Coalition), and Ma-Yi Theater Company.
Regardless of its early closing, KPOP , producers note, made history by being the first Broadway production to feature Korean stories written by Korean American creatives, along with 18 cast members, all of AAPI descent, making their Broadway debuts.
KPOP is produced by Tim Forbes, Joey Parnes, Jay Alix & Una Jackman, Hunter Arnold, Kayla Greenspan, Ad Hoc Live Entertainment, Sony Music Masterworks, James L. Nederlander, John Gore Organization, Ira Pittelman, Salman Al-Rashid, Gideon Friedman, Dodge Hall Productions & Courage the Producer, Jamie deRoy & Dawn Smalberg, Eric Falkenstein, Suzanne Grant, John Paterakis, Susan Vargo, Miranda Gohh and Hui-Dress and was conceived by Woodshed Collective and Jason Kim.
- David Byrne’s ‘American Utopia’ Sets House Record Of $1.4M; Broadway Box Office Hits $27M
- 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup: Brazil vs Mail, England vs Spain — As it happened...
- Colombian superstar Juanes sets Sugar Land date
- ‘The Boys In The Band’ Recoups $3.5M Investment As Total Weekly Broadway Box Office Hits $37M
- ‘Springsteen On Broadway’ Headed To Netflix In December
- Tana Ramsay, 44, boasts the new mum glow as she emerges with baby Oscar for first time alongside doting twins Jack and Holly
- Jerry Herman Memorial Service Sees Performances From Bernadette Peters and Kristin Chenoweth
- Watch: Liza Minnelli Performs ‘Cabaret’s’ ‘Mein Herr’ on ‘Liza With a Z’
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2020: FINAL: India vs Bangladesh: Preview, Squads, Timings, TV Channel, Live Streaming Info
- From Chinatown to ghost town: How once-bustling Sydney streets and restaurants have been left deserted as businesses close for good amid coronavirus hysteria - but chemists are BOOMING
- 'This is what 44 looks like!' Isla Fisher shows off her remarkably youthful visage in a candid selfie as she celebrates her birthday
- 'Martin Scorsese looks like he is about to fall asleep!': Irishman director's reaction to Eminem's baffling Oscars performance sparks memes and hilarious tweets
- Tim Ho Wan — 'The world's cheapest Michelin-starred restaurant' — set to open in Houston area
- Happy Birthday, Nora Fatehi: FIVE times when the actress set the Internet on fire with her sizzling belly dance videos
- Winward Academy Closing Resource Gap for American Indian Teens
- 25-year-old woman College teacher set ablaze by stalker, suffers 40 per cent burns
- Cyclone Damien set to form off WA coast before hitting Karratha this weekend
- Glum rocker! Veteran Slade drummer Don Powell is axed... so he sets up a rival band with same name
- 10 Disney attractions that closed too soon
- Cynthia Erivo Receives Standing Ovation for Powerful "Stand Up" Performance at 2020 Oscars
Broadway’s ‘KPOP’ Sets Closing Notice After Only 17 Performances & 44 Previews have 708 words, post on deadline.com at December 6, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.