The feature, starring Ana de Armas as the tragic, iconic actress, divided critics when it world premiered at the Venice Film Festival in September and then received an avalanche of criticism when it dropped on Netflix on September 28.
He admitted he had been taken aback by the response at first.
"I was expecting critical success, and then that no one would see the film. That's what I'm kind of used to, films that have a positive critical reaction, and then people don't see it. Blonde was kind of the opposite, at least in America," said Dominik.
"America was where it was worst. They hated the movie. They were angry about the film. They were outraged by the film, but a lot of people saw it, so, I was kind of surprised by it."
Dominik said he had not let the criticism get to him.
"Criticism only hurts if you agree with it. And I didn't really agree with any of it. I think the film is great," he said.
"You can't really do other people's thinking for them but I think when it comes to an iconic American, what they want is hagiographies, they want the celebration of that person, and a celebration of that person according to the mores of the time," he said.
He suggested his portrait of Monroe had not chimed with themes of female empowerment that are popular right now.
"We're living at a time where it's very important to present women as empowered, and they want to reinvent Marilyn Monroe as an empowered woman, you know, that's what they want to see," he continued.
"And if you're not showing them that then it upsets them," he added. "Americans don't really like you to monkey with their myths too much. They very often want to jump to the solution without actually looking at any of the trauma."
Dominik batted back suggestions by critics of the film that he had exploited Monroe.
"This is kind of strange because she is dead. The movie doesn't make any difference to her in one way or another," he said.
"What they really mean is that the film exploited their memory of her or their image of her, which is fair enough. That's the whole idea of the movie, it's trying to take the iconography of her life and put it into the service of something else. It's trying to take things that you're familiar with and turn the meaning of them inside out."
- Netflix's Marilyn Monroe Movie 'Blonde' Rounds Out Cast
- Cannes Film Festival 2016: Reporter's diary
- 'I got in to the blondes': JFK's sexual preferences - and his fear of being exposed as an adulterer - are revealed in notes he wrote to aides after losing his voice on 1960 election trail
- The Crown series 4 FIRST LOOK: Tom Byrne films inaugural scenes as Prince Andrew... portraying the scandal-ridden Royal in his 20s ahead of wedding to Sarah Ferguson
- Is filmmaker David Lynch really pro-Trump?
- Brad Pitt STILL 'not dating anyone' after Angelina split... even though he has been seen with Jennifer Aniston, Charlize Theron and Alia Shawkat (and plenty of mystery women)
- Inside Ana de Armas' Astronomical Rise to Fame: From
- Hollywood mourns one of its greatest stars as wholesome screen icon Doris Day dies of pneumonia aged 97
- Ben Affleck, 47, looks smitten with his Deep Water co-star Ana de Armas, 31, at airport in Costa Rica... after the two were cuddly in Cuba
- Our Europe: 27 things we love about the continent
- From Coachella to SXSW, coronavirus concerns have impacted these entertainment events
- Disney Postpones
- The OFM 50: our favourite foods, recipes, restaurants and more
- 'Anybody who wants a test can get a test': Donald Trump plunges coronavirus testing into chaos with impossible promise as he visits CDC - while Apple shuts its HQ and South By South West is canceled over virus fears
- Latrell Mitchell lets fly with stinging Instagram post saying he doesn't need a 'white person's approval' after Karl Stefanovic slammed the NRL's new ad showing the footy star draped in an Aboriginal flag
- Cheltenham Gold Cup and Premier League games look set to go ahead even if COBRA moves to 'delay' response over coronavirus but The Who postpone tour and London Bike Show is cancelled
- Top coronavirus expert Dr Fauci says four million tests should be available by end of week, before warning Americans to avoid crowds and brace for quarantines as number of infected hits 554 across 33 states
- Coronavirus latest: Italy imposes nationwide restrictions
- Coronavirus: Italy imposes nationwide restrictions
- Love Island finalists: Babies to cheating and tragedy - here's what happened next
Andrew Dominik Addresses Backlash Against Marilyn Monroe Picture ‘Blonde’ – Red Sea Film Festival have 849 words, post on deadline.com at December 4, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.