Since it debuted at the Venice Film Festival where it won the Grand Jury prize, Alice Diop 's first feature Saint Omer has had a robust life on the fall festival circuit. An austere, tightly scripted and subtly acted drama, in which a novelist (Kayije Kagame) becomes fascinated by the trial of an immigrant mother for the murder of her own daughter, the film nevertheless draws deeply on the director's previous experience as a documentary filmmaker.
Speaking at Deadline's Contenders Film: International award-season event, Diop revealed that the events depicted in the film reflect her own interest in a real-life court case that took place in the French town that gives the film its name. "The inspiration was a personal experience," she said, "which I had when I attended the trial of a Senegalese woman who killed her infant daughter by leaving her on a beach in the north of France. I was truly fascinated by this case, and I followed, in person, the entire trial."
Diop explained that her interest in the trial was more than just simple curiosity as to the woman's guilt or innocence.
"This case overwhelmed me," she said. "It changed me, and it really put me in dialogue with the darkest part of my relationship to maternity. I realized that many other women in France were marked by this trial, and I also noticed that this fascinating story had impacted many other women in the same way that it had impacted me — it made them think about their mysterious link to their own mothers and to their children. That's what gave me the conviction to make the film."
Check out the panel video above.
- NBA Midseason Awards: The Case For Darkhorse Candidates
- Iggy Brazeikis hopes to be Michigan's latest international success following Moritz Wagner
- 2017 NBA Draft Big Board 3.0
- 64 reasons to be excited for the 2016â17 college hoops season
- Six years later, Penn State is still at war over the Sandusky scandal
- NBA Mock Draft 2018: Players and teams shuffle at the top after lottery sets the draft order
- NBA Mock Draft 2018: Players and teams shuffle at the top after the draft order is set by the lottery
- 2016-17 NBA Grades: Analyzing All 30 Teams
- European Basketball Primer: Euroleague Team Preview
- How the Top 10 Players Not in the NBA Playoffs Can Make It Next Season
- 25 NBA players who can help you survive a zombie apocalypse
- Handing Out Awards for Every NBA Team
- Mailbag: Why the Australian Open is scheduled two weeks into the season
- 2017 NBA Awards Picks: The Great MVP Debate And More
- NBA: 15 Candidates For Breakout Seasons In 2016-17
- NBA First-Quarter Awards: An MVP Race For The Ages And More
- 40 parting thoughts from the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells
- Josh Brown Returns to New York, Greg Roman Out in Buffalo, Vikes in the Spotlight
- SI’s MMQB: The highs and lows of the NFL’s holiday weekend
- The Big Bang: A frenzied 23 minutes in June changed the outlook of the season
Alice Diop Says Court Case At Center Of Her French Oscar Entry ‘Saint Omer’ “Overwhelmed Me” – Contenders International have 508 words, post on deadline.com at December 3, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.