The twin filmmakers were asked, during a Sunday night panel at the streamer's Tudum Theater in Los Angeles, if there are new '80s pop culture influences that will shape the final season, in the way that A Nightmare on Elm Street and its villain Freddy Kreuger shaped this summer's two-part Season 4.
"[Season] 5, the way we see it, is kind of a culmination of all the seasons, so it's got a little bit from each," Ross Duffer told a packed house. "I think that what we're trying to do is go back to the beginning a little bit, in sort of the tone of 1. But also scale-wise, it's more aligned with what 4 is. So, hopefully, it's got a little bit of everything."
A key factor setting Season 5 apart from the others, per Matt Duffer , is that the danger the world is in is now "all kind of out in the open" — not just to our teen heroes from the Indiana town of Hawkins, but to their parents and the rest of their community, as well.
Stranger Things , for the uninitiated, is a sci-fi drama that follows a group of Midwestern teens as they battle supernatural forces connected to an alternate reality known as The Upside Down. The show's latest season picks up months after the Battle of Starcourt, which brought terror and destruction to Hawkins. Struggling with the aftermath, our group of friends are separated for the first time – and navigating the complexities of high school hasn't made things any easier. In this most vulnerable time, a new and horrifying supernatural threat surfaces, presenting a gruesome mystery that, if solved, might finally put an end to the horrors of the Upside Down.
The Duffers were joined for tonight's panel — moderated by Patton Oswalt — by director-EP Shawn Levy , as well as longtime cast members Caleb McLaughlin, Priah Ferguson and Millie Bobby Brown — with the latter, chiming in virtually. Others appearing in person included popular Season 4 additions Joseph Quinn, Eduardo Franco and Jamie Campbell Bower.
While the conversation was short on major Season 5 takeaways, Ross Duffer confirmed that the writing staff is "on to the second" episode, having turned in the first script to Netflix "a couple of weeks ago." (The title for the Season 5 opener is "Chapter One: The Crawl," Netflix revealed just last week.)
Ross shared that the team is moving "full steam ahead" with the writing process, having first "developed an overall plan and backstory" for the the Upside Down back in Season 2. He added that while some of the questions surrounding this fantastical arena were answered over the course of Season 4, there will still be "quite a bit" to unravel in the show's final year. "But just as important as the supernatural, we have so many characters now, most of whom are still living," Duffer continued. "It's important to wrap up those arcs because a lot of these characters have been growing since Season 1. So, it's a balancing act between giving them time to complete their character arcs, and also tying up these loose ends and doing our final reveals."
Levy opined, in closing, that the balance the Duffers are after is one they're managing to hit. "I'm paralyzed with fear that I'll spoil anything, but I will say, the thing about these Duffer brothers is that even though the show has gotten so famous and the characters have gotten so iconic, and they're so much about the '80s and the supernatural and the genre, it's about these people. It's about these characters," he said. "Season 5 is already so clearly taking care of these stories of characters, because that's always been the lifeblood of Stranger Things ."
Stranger Things scored 13 Emmy nominations for its fourth season, with wins coming in the areas of prosthetic makeup, sound editing, sound mixing, music supervision and stunt coordination. The show produced by Monkey Massacre Productions and 21 Laps Entertainment was renewed for its fifth and final season in February, though when this final chapter will debut on Netflix is not yet clear. Levy exec produces alongside Dan Cohen for 21 Laps, as well as the Duffers, Iain Paterson and Curtis Gwinn.
- Stranger Things season 4 UK release date, trailors and cast
- Stranger Things Season 4 Wraps on 'The American' in Vilnius, New Set Images Released
- Stranger Things season 4 confirmed by Netflix – with a big twist!
- Stranger Things 4 Teases Hopper's Escape From Russian Prison
- Stranger Things Season 4: New Behind-The-Scenes Images Revealed
- Stranger Things Season 4 Teaser: Hopper Is Alive And Cold In Russia
- Netflix drops 'Stranger Things' Season 4 teaser, answers a major cliffhanger
- Gaten Matarazzo of Stranger Things reveals his fourth Cleidocranial Dysplasia surgery was a 'complete success'
- Stranger Things: David Harbour Reacts to New Teaser
- Stranger Things sparks rumors they may split their fourth and final season into two halves
- David Harbour returns from the dead as Jim Hopper in the season four trailer of Stranger Things
- Stranger Things star reveals reaction to upcoming season four storyline
- New Stranger Things 4 Teaser Reveals Hopper is Alive
- ‘Stranger Things’ Renewed For Season 4 By Netflix As Creators The Duffer Brothers Ink Mega Overall Deal
- ‘Stranger Things’ Teaser Trailer: David Harbour Returns For Season Four As Production Kicks Off
- 'Stranger Things' ups Priah Ferguson to series regular for Season 4 (EXCLUSIVE)
- ‘Stranger Things’ Ups Priah Ferguson to Series Regular for Season 4 (EXCLUSIVE)
- Stranger Things Star Says Will's Sexuality Is "Up to the Audience"
- 'Stranger Things' cast leave Amy Adams, Blake Lively and more star-struck at the Golden Globes
- Renewed by Netflix for Season 4
‘Stranger Things’ Season 5 Teased By Creators Matt & Ross Duffer, Director-EP Shawn Levy: “A Culmination” Of All That’s Come Before have 989 words, post on deadline.com at November 13, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.