Shakira is firing back at Spanish prosecutors, claiming she’s the victim of a smear campaign and has the receipts to prove it.
The singer filed legal docs Friday in Spain, answering allegations she failed to pay more than $14 million in taxes for income earned from 2012 through 2014.
Shakira says during that period, she was NOT a resident of Spain. According to the laws of the country, she’s required to pay taxes if she spends 183 days or more there in a single year.
She says during the period in question, she actually paid $10,141,075 in taxes to the U.S. government — this is the time when she appeared as a coach on “The Voice.” She says she was not in Spain for the requisite period of time — 183 days.
Prosecutors are seeking an 8-year prison sentence and a $24 million fine if she’s convicted in the upcoming trial, but she says in new legal docs she’s paid more than $90 mil to Spain’s version of Uncle Sam.
Shakira Going to Trial in Spain Over Alleged Tax Fraud
According to the legal docs, Shakira declared herself a tax resident of Spain in 2015, after settling there with her family and enrolling her son in school.
Shakira claims the government is also gunning for her failure to pay in 2011 … she says she was on a global tour and only spend a grand total of 60 days in the country.
She says prosecutors have violated her right of privacy and the presumption of innocence by putting her on blast the way they have. She calls it a smear campaign.
- Spanish court orders Shakira to stand trial in tax fraud case
- Trump Organization Fined $1.6 Million In Tax Fraud Case — Update
- Shakira breaks silence on claims she’s dating surf instructor, 24, dubbed a ‘Pique clone’ after they’re seen at beach
- Trump's Two Companies Convicted For Tax Fraud, Days After He Confirmed 2024 Presidency Campaign
- Trump Organisation fined $1.6 million for tax fraud
- Trump Organization to be sentenced for tax fraud, faces fine
- ‘RHOSLC’ Star Jen Shah Sentenced To 6.5 Years In Prison For Fraud Case
- Jen Shah Fraud Case Sentencing: Feds Request ‘RHOSLC’ Star Get 10 Years In Prison
- Sam Bankman-Fried Expected to Enter Plea in FTX Fraud Case
- Chanda Kochhar, Deepak Kochhar, Venugopal Dhoot arrested: 10 points on ICICI Bank-Videocon fraud case
- Shakira revealed major reason she split with Gerard Pique in emotional interview about ‘darkest time of her life’
- Shakira and ex Gerard Pique ‘agree to sell their £12m Barcelona mansion’ after thrashing out child custody deal
- Shakira encourages fans to ‘know your worth’ in motivational New Year post about ‘heartache’ after divorce in 2022
- Shakira Takes Aim at Gerard Piqué During BZRP Music Session
- Shakira and Gerard Pique in court showdown after bitter divorce row over their kids & £12million mansion
- Shakira aims brutal veiled dig at ex Gerard Pique 'trading Rolex for a Casio' in new song
- Tax Notes International Person Of The Year: Grace Perez-Navarro — A Champion Of Transparency And Inclusion
- Shakira vows to fight ‘false’ Spanish tax accusations in first public comments
- Shakira sets social media alight with song haranguing ex Gerard Pique
- 'You swapped a Rolex for a Casio.' Shakira takes a dig at ex Gerard Pique, his new girlfriend in song
Shakira Claims She's Victim of Smear Campaign in Spain Tax Fraud Case have 526 words, post on www.tmz.com at November 25, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.