Jeffries will succeed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as party leader, after she announced earlier this month that she would not seek the post after a 20-year tenure, telling members that the time had come for a new generation. Democrats will be in the minority in the next Congress, albeit Republicans will have only a slim majority following an unexpectedly weak showing in the midterms.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said that Jeffries ascension to the top role was a "turning point in the history of the United States Congress."
He said that he has known Jeffries since before the days he was first elected to the New York State Assembly in 2006. "When I first met him I thought the same thing I thought when I first met Speaker Pelosi: here's someone who has it all," Schumer said.
Jeffries, 52, has served as House Democratic caucus chair since 2019 and, before that, as co-chair of the House Democratic Policy and Communications Committee. He was first elected to the House in 2012.
Democrats also chose Rep. Katherine Clark (D-MA) to serve as party whip and Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-CA) as caucus chair.
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) also announced that he would not seek a leadership post, while Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC) said that he would not seek the No. 3 role but would seek to remain "at the leadership table" as assistant Democratic leader.
Pelosi will continue to serve in the next Congress, and House Democrats voted to give her the honorary title of Speaker Emerita.
Pelosi said in a statement, "Together, this new generation of leaders reflects the vibrancy and diversity of our great nation – and they will reinvigorate our Caucus with their new energy, ideas and perspective."
- House Democrats announce next round of open impeachment hearings
- Almost Half of House Democrats Now Support Impeachment
- Prominent House Democrat Rep. Rashida Tlaib plans to introduce Trump impeachment resolution
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen blast Trump at House Democratic Caucus retreat
- Who is Hakeem Jeffries, the next House Democratic Caucus chairman?
- Reinventing How We Select Our Political Leaders
- House Democrats Can Impeach Trump Any Time They Want
- As House Democrats threaten to subpoena White House, Trump attacks them and whistleblower
- House extends Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress for another year
- Reps. Biggs and Hice: Trump impeachment effort may be abandoned by House Democrats fearing election losses
- House Democrats Will Introduce 'Save the Internet Act' to Restore Net Neutrality This Week
- House Democrats Push Major Gun Control Bills Forward Following The Mass Shootings In El Paso And Dayton
- House Democrats release pair of witness transcripts ahead of jam-packed week of impeaching hearings
- Wife of George Papadopoulos sits for 4-hour session with House Democrats
- Top House Democrats ask for review of DHS appointments
- Nancy Pelosi has work to do to wrap up House speaker’s job
- Why Pro-impeachment Democrats Are Still Siding With Pelosi
- House Votes to Condemn Trump’s Racist Comments
- Why Impeachment Is a Difficult Debate Topic for Democrats
- White House urgently ramps up push for drug cost legislation
House Democrats Select Hakeem Jeffries As Next Leader have 524 words, post on deadline.com at November 30, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.