Earlier this week, social media lit up as users excitedly uploaded the poster for the Elizabeth Banks -directed Cocaine Bear , imagining what a movie with that title might be like. They got some idea today when Universal dropped the bonkers first trailer for the film "inspired by the true story of a drug runner's 1985 plane crash, missing cocaine, and the black bear that ate it." The movie, billed as a character-driven thriller, seems to have a good bit of fun with the premise.
The story involves an oddball group of cops, criminals, tourists and teens converging in a Georgia forest where a 500-pound apex predator has ingested a staggering amount of cocaine and gone on a rampage for more blow…and blood.
In the course of things, the bear gulps down bricks of blow which seem to confer upon it drug-fueled superpowers. The beast gallops up a tree after one victim. It outpaces a speeding ambulance whose terrified occupants are trying to escape the bear's wrath. The animal also has what seems to be a comically-rendered Deliverance moment in the forest with one young victim (played by Alden Ehrenreich). All this action is propelled by smartly-clipped snippets of Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel's classic, White Lines .
The film stars Keri Russell ( The Americans ), Margo Martindale ( The Americans ), Ray Liotta ( The Many Saints of Newark ), Alden Ehrenreich ( Solo: A Star Wars Story ), O'Shea Jackson Jr. ( Straight Outta Compton ), Jesse Tyler Ferguson ( Modern Family ), Kristofer Hivju ( Game of Thrones ), Kahyun Kim ( American Gods ), Christian Convery ( Sweet Tooth ), Brooklynn Prince ( The Florida Project ) and newcomer Scott Seiss.
Cocaine Bear could be an apex box office predator. It's the only studio entry to date on February 24, debuting in the wake of Disney's The Marvels on February 17 and ahead of Paramount's Dungeons & Dragons on March 3.
- The best film scenes of 2016
- The best film scenes of 2017
- Russian TV Show Devoted To Vladimir Putin Claims He Intimidates Bears
- Why We May Never Meet the Skrulls in the Marvel Films. Plus
- The best of film 2017: The ballots
- Elizabeth Warren, Hillary Clinton and the sexist hypocrisy of the 'likability' narrative
- What You Need To Know About Another Wild Week In The Russia Investigation
- Working for free: Lawyers incorporating pro bono into their lives talk about its rewards, challenges
- The bad dinosaurs: 14 regrettable works of dino-themed entertainment
- Someone Found Their Real-Life Secret Parking Spot In
- Trump calls Robert De Niror 'Low IQ' and 'punch-drunk' after Tony Awards jab
- Africa Update OCTOBER 22, 2015
- Week 17 Cheat Sheet
- You can trace the quippy fun of Marvel blockbusters straight back to
- The 25 Greatest Legal Movies
- What do Native Americans want from a president?
- Sharon Stone, 61, has enjoyed 30 years of success being the blonde bombshell but says now Hollywood needs to 'expand' its idea of beauty
- In a competitive year for Best Actress, Aubrey Plaza dangles Oscar bait from outside the box
- Rita Moreno on
- Diet Kochs: The Family In The Shadow Of The GOP Megadonors
‘Cocaine Bear’ Trailer: Elizabeth Banks’ New Film Gets A Wild Promo Befitting Its Title have 492 words, post on deadline.com at November 30, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.