Sony Pictures' Where the Crawdads Sing has crossed the $90 million mark at the domestic box office, showing proof that it's not just tentpoles that rule the roost on the big screen. The pic hit the mark on its 82nd day of release, Tuesday, after opening on July 15.
The movie based on the Delia Owens YA mystery novel opened to $17.2M and has a current leg-out factor of 5.2x, which is amazing for any wide title in this wonky marketplace. And it wasn't even the Christmas season. Sony has pulled off great box office sleepers before, one of the more notable titles pre-pandemic being Little Women, which posted a 5-day start of $29.2M and legged out to $108.1M domestic and six Oscar noms and a win.
Also, it's an amazing feat considering that Where the Crawdads Sing didn't boast a major cast, just a star in its producer, Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon , whose Hello Sunshine is behind the film. It boils down to the power of the source material for this $24M production; the 2018 novel sold over 15M copies. Not all small films need to be relegated to streaming. Worldwide, Where the Crawdads Sing has made close to $132M. The 3000 Pictures release is one of 32 titles to cross the $90M threshold in U.S./Canada during the pandemic.
Another thing to stand up and applaud: Unlike pre-pandemic when critics seemed to determine the fate of films at the box office, Where the Crawdads Sing bucked bad reviews of 34% on Rotten Tomatoes; its 74% female driven audience spreading the buzz with an A- CinemaScore and 4 1/2 stars on Comscore/Screen Engine's PostTrak. Also, the Olivia Newman directed movie was another title to draw older female moviegoers out during the pandemic, Where the Crawdads Sing leaned 55% women over 25 who gave the pic its highest grade on PostTrak of 87%.
Adapted by Lucy Alibar, Where the Crawdads Sing follows a woman, who has been raised in the marshes of the Deep South, and becomes a suspect in the murder of a man with whom she was once involved.
Daisy Edgar-Jones, Taylor John Smith, Harris Dickinson, Michael Hyatt, Sterling Macer, Jr. and David Strathairn star in Where the Crawdads Sing. Lauren Neustadter also produces with Witherspoon. Executive producers are Rhonda Fehr and Betsy Danbury.
- Open Road’s Liam Neeson Pic ‘The Marksman’ Takes $3.7M At MLK Weekend Box Office
- ‘Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone’ Nears $1B WW With Magical China Reissue – International Box Office
- India’s ‘Master’ Has A Blast In Global Debut; ‘Soul’ Becomes China’s No. 3 Pixar Pic – International Box Office
- ‘Soul’ Shines In Korea Debut; ‘Master’ Blast Encourages India Biz; Japan’s ‘Demon Slayer’ Topping $350M – International Box Office
- Krack Day 3 Box Office Collection: Ravi Teja Starrer Maintains Strong Hold At Box Office!
- Krack Day 3 Box Office Collection: Ravi Teja Starrer Continues Its Steady Run At The Box Office
- Master Day 2 Box Office Collection: Thalapathy Vijay Starrer Continues To Shine At The Box Office
- Every Star Wars Movie Ranked by Box Office Performance
- Red Day 1 Box Office Collection: Ram Pothineni Starrer Starts On A Positive Note
- Liam Neeson's thriller The Marksman dethrones Wonder Woman 1984 at the box office after four weeks... as the superhero flick falls to number three
- Hit domestic drama still leads China's box office
- China's box office opens 2021 with record revenue
- China box office top earner crosses 185 mln USD
- Indonesia plane crash: Divers using high-tech 'ping locator' to retrieve black boxes of Sriwijaya Air jet
- Black boxes located at Indonesian airliner crash site as human remains recovered
- Trump 'shut down talks with Mike Lindell within minutes' after the MyPillow CEO was seen at White House brandishing notes about 'martial law' and Insurrection Act
- Jennifer Lopez's inauguration performance receives high praise for her rendition of ‘This Land Is Your Land’
- Trump Leaving Office With 3M Less Jobs Than When He Entered, Worst Record Since Depression
- Requiem for the High Street: Retail industry faces 200,000 job cuts this year after 320 shops closed every week in 2020 - while Nike, Gap and Vans are latest flagship stores set to leave Oxford Street
- Jennifer Lopez stuns in bright white suit at President Biden's inauguration to sing This Land Is Your Land and America The Beautiful... as she references her own hit song Let's Get Loud
‘Where The Crawdads Sing’ Hits High Note At Domestic Box Office With $90M have 705 words, post on deadline.com at October 6, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.