His wife of 44 years, Carol Andelman Samrock, confirmed the news.
Samrock joined Warners in 1982 as West Coast Publicity Director and eventually built and managed a 16-member staff responsible for publicity duties on some 30 films in production or release annually. He rose to VP National Publicity at Warner Bros. Pictures in Burbank for most of the studio's years under Chairmen Bob Daly and Terry Semel.
After leaving Warner theatrical publicity in 1997, Samrock moved to Warner Home Video as a consultant to help then president Warren Lieberfarb, the acknowledged "Godfather of DVD," introduce the new format that would revolutionize the home entertainment business model. Shortly after, in 1998, Samrock founded Carl Samrock Public Relations, a boutique firm that focused primarily on publicity and promotion campaigns for major studios' DVD and Blu-ray releases. For the next nearly two decades, the company handled such revered titles as The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca and Gone with the Wind ; the Seinfeld series; and many Disney and DreamWorks Animation classics. The firm was acquired by its strategic partner Click Communication in 2017.
Born on June 1, 1941, in Manhattan, Samrock began his career as a theatrical press agent, handling Broadway and Off-Broadway shows. In 1977, he was named VP in the New York Office of ICPR Public Relations, a corporate and entertainment publicity firm that worked with major movie studios and independent film producers, movie stars and filmmakers.
From the late 1960s through the mid-'70s, Samrock was a freelance photographer, specializing in entertainment and editorial work, in particular for The New York Times Arts and Leisure section. He did personality portraits for such legends as Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck, Jessica Tandy, Randy Newman, Joan Baez, Robert Altman and Christopher Walken. In 1972, his photo coverage of Bella Abzug's run for Congress accompanied a New York Times Magazine feature on the campaign.
Samrock also lectured regularly on publicity at Loyola Marymount University and UCLA, serving on the latter's faculty for brief period. He was a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and sat on the board of directors of the American Society of Magazine Photographers.
In recent years, Samrock took to writing obituaries for fellow industry veterans.
In addition to his wife Carol, he is survived by his sons Gabriel (Faye Hudson) and Steven (Katsue Anzai); a sister, Ellen; and granddaughter, Daisy. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Pancreatic Cancer Action Network .
- Is herd immunity closer than scientists first thought? Experts now believe pockets of New York and London could be immune from Covid-19 and as few as 10% of people may need to be infected
- Parts of London & New York ‘could have coronavirus herd immunity’ as scientists say as little as 10% may need infection
- BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump's brother Robert dies in New York hospital at the age of 71 one day after visit from the president
- Number of vacant rental apartment in New York surges to its highest point on record and rents drop 10% as residents keep fleeing the city amid crime and COVID nightmare
- British photographer covering rioting in New York is arrested during George Floyd protests and held in custody for 12 hours
- Chicago says students will stay home, New York erects COVID-19 checkpoints
- Q&A: McCarthy and Grant on New York, forgery and friendship
- New York is finished! Big Apple born-and-bred entrepreneur pens devastating blog on why city will never recover after being devastated by Covid, looting and a crime wave
- New York faces an unprecedented crisis. Will the city I love survive Covid-19?
- New York City Man Tells CBS2 About Life In Hotel Homeless Shelter, And How He Understands The Public’s Concerns
- New York City teachers threaten mass ‘sickout’ as schools stay open amid coronavirus
- A New York couple is keeping romance alive with coronavirus pop-up dinners
- Americans Dying of COVID-19 at Rate Over 17 Times Higher Than Europeans, Canadians
- "Holy place": New York City marks 9/11 anniversary
- Kelly Preston's death certificate reveals she died at Florida home: report
- Chilling footage shows moment masked gunman opens fire killing mom-of-three in New York street
- De Blasio's descent: How New York City's mayor became so unpopular across the political spectrum
- The Hill's Convention Report: Trump rails on mail voting at surprise convention appearance | Republicans prepare for convention close-up | New York AG investigating Trump Org
- Masked-up Trump arrives in NYC to visit his younger brother Robert, 72, in hospital who is 'very ill' and 'having a hard time' - weeks after his sibling sued their niece to stop publication of tell-all book
- Writer Gail Sheehy, author of ‘Passages,’ dies at 83
Carl Samrock Dies: Former Warners Publicity & Home Video Exec, New York Times Photographer Was 81 have 784 words, post on deadline.com at October 3, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.