Shakira may soon have her day in court … because a judge in Spain has given the green light for the singer to stand trial on tax fraud charges.
According to reports, the judge ruled Tuesday prosecutors can move forward with a trial for the singer on 6 counts of tax fraud — Shakira is accused of not coughing up 14.5 million euros — or about $13.9 million — in taxes for income she earned between 2012 and 2014.
Prosecutors believe Shakira was spending more than half her time in Spain during those years — meaning authorities believe she should’ve paid up, even though her official residence was in the Bahamas.
As we reported, prosecutors are hoping to get an 8-year prison sentence and a large fine if she’s found guilty of the charges.
Shakira Prosecutors Want Her to Serve 8-year Prison Sentence in Tax Fraud Case
Shakira’s denying having to pay up, though … recently telling ELLE , “I’ve paid everything they claimed I owed even before they filed a lawsuit. So as of today, I owe zero to them.”
She goes on to say she’s confident she has enough evidence to prove she’s innocent.
A rep for Shakira tells TMZ … “Shakira has always cooperated and abided by the law, demonstrating impeccable conduct as individual and a taxpayer, and faithfully following the counsel of PriceWaterhouse Coopers, a prestigious and globally recognized tax firm.”
“Unfortunately, the Spanish Tax Office, which loses one out of every two lawsuits with its taxpayers, continues to violate her rights and pursue yet another baseless case. Due to these unjust accusations, she has decided to pursue this matter in court. Shakira is confident that her innocence will be proven by the end of the judicial process and is grateful for the support she's received.”
- Buying in Spain - What is a Buyers Agent and how can they Help?
- Fraud Alert-The Thieves Are Out To Get You
- Fraud - The Drake Inheritance Scam
- Richard Hatch May Not Survive IRS-Will You?
- Latest Email Scam Using IRS Name
- Todd Chrisley denies extorting daughter over sex video with 'Bachelorette' star
- The Truth About George W. Bush
- Conspiracy; Hundreds of Small Minority Owned Business Forced Into Closing By City of Tucson Attorney
- Fed Raids: Pertinent or Paranoid?
- Liability Insurance and Asset Protection
- Buying a home? Consider Hiring an Attorney
- Asset Protection - How to Avoid Losing Your Fortune to A Lame Lawsuit
- Defending Against Class Action Suits In The World Of Sarbox
- The Pros and Cons of Corruption
- War On Christmas? Part 2: Who Is Lying To Whom?
- Identity Theft - Are YOU at Risk?
- A Decade Of Corruption Ends With Hartz
- The Role of Secrecy in Romance Scams
- The Greatest Man Afloat
- Client Preparation for Custody Evaluations and Court-Ordered Mediation
Shakira Going to Trial in Spain Over Alleged Tax Fraud have 487 words, post on www.tmz.com at September 27, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.