James Earl Jones – one of the most distinctive voices in the history of film – appears to have made steps to step back from voicing the Star Wars character, Darth Vader , after nearly 40 years in the role.
Vanity Fair reports that the actor, aged 91, has signed over the rights to his voice to filmmakers using new AI, technology, Matthew Wood of Lucasfilm told the magazine that the actor "wished to keep Vader alive"
"He had mentioned he was looking into winding down this particular character," Wood told Vanity Fair . "So how do we move forward?"
Jones made his debut as the legendary Star Wars villain in the 1977 film, and followed this up with voicing the same character throughout the franchise up to this point on both the big and small screen. He most recently starred as the character for the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney+.
While actor David Prowse dressed in the distinctive black uniform of the Sith Lord for the original films, it was Jones who provided the unique deep tones of the complex Vader.
Besides his work on the sci-fi epic, Jones is a celebrated EGOT. He received an honorary Academy Award in 2011, having been nominated for Best Actor in the 1970 The Great White Hope .
Other stars from the franchise have made a return to the franchise in recent years. Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen and Mark Hamill have all reprised their characters, much to the delight of fans. But it seems one of the most distinctive actors of all is finally signing off.
Earlier this month , Broadway's Cort Theatre was renamed in honor of Jones, and a dedication ceremony was attended by such stage and film stars as Samuel L. Jackson, LaTanya Richardson Jackson, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Norm Lewis and director Kenny Leon. The 91-year-old Jones did not attend but had been given a private tour of the renamed James Earl Jones Theatre days prior.
- What Is Darth Vader's Role in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?
- Darth Vader Confirmed to Return in Han Solo Movie?
- Star Wars spinoff Obi-Wan Kenobi with Ewan McGregor reprising his role as the legendary Jedi master has found its director
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year including Terry Jones and Rocky Johnson
- 2020 Super Bowl rosters: Every starter and key role players for Chiefs vs. 49ers, plus much more
- 2020 Super Bowl rosters: Starters, key role players and streaming, TV channel, start time for 49ers vs. Chiefs
- Robert Downey Jr., Christina Aguilera, and more honored as Disney Legends
- Star Wars '90s Flashback Footage Asks If the Franchise Is Cursed
- What is going on with Laura Dern and Baby Yoda? An EW investigation
- White House spokesman invokes 'Spaceballs' in critique of Adam Schiff's impeachment case
- The stars of Disney's live-action
- Watch the best Super Bowl commercials of 2018
- This summer, Hollywood killed everybody's dad
- The 34 best political movies ever made
- Steve Bannon Is Out of Trump’s Doghouse and Leading the Charge Against Mueller
- BOOS! and WHOOP-DOOS!: The Unsung Heroes of Black Entertainment History Month
- Planning a big change in the Year of the Rat? Chinese zodiac expert reveals what you can expect in the next 12 months (including why the Horse should wear red for protection)
- The 50 best albums of 2016
- Sundance 2019: Alfre Woodard, Alec Baldwin + Making Of ‘Alien’, Satanists & Roy Cohn Docus Among U.S., World Cinema, NEXT, Midnight & Kids Slates
- Samuel Mayerson, Patty Hearst prosecutor who spared her a prison sentence, dies at 96
James Earl Jones Signs Over Rights To Voice Of Darth Vader, Signalling Retirement From Legendary Role have 567 words, post on deadline.com at September 24, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.