EXCLUSIVE : Following the success of Shonda Rhimes-produced steamy Regency romance Bridgerton , Netflix is betting on another soapy period drama produced by a top showrunner from its roster of overall deals, Orange Is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan . The streamer has given an eight-episode series order to The Decameron , from Kathleen Jordan , creator of Netflix's Teenage Bounty Hunters, and Kohan who executive produced the teen drama alongside her.
Created by Jordan, who serves as showrunner, The Decameron is set in 1348 when the Black Death, the deadliest pandemic in human history which killed as many as 200 million people, strikes hard in the city of Florence. A handful of nobles are invited to retreat with their servants to a grand villa in the Italian countryside and wait out the pestilence with a lavish holiday. But as social rules wear thin, what starts as a wine-soaked sex romp in the hills of Tuscany descends into an all out scramble for survival.
The series examines the timely themes of class systems, power struggles and survival in a time of pandemic with a touch of levity, brought together by a charming and riotous ensemble of characters.
It is loosely inspired by The Decameron , the famous collection of witty, racy and sometimes tragic short stories about love by the 14th-century Italian author Giovanni Boccaccio. Jordan reportedly drew from the period and the setting of The Decameron , considered a masterpiece of classic Italian prose, but almost the entirety of her creative vision for the series is original.
"Kathleen Jordan is the real freakin' deal," Kohan said. "I am so excited and grateful that I get to work with her and we get to make this awesome, funny, timely, weird show together for Netflix."
Jordan executive produces The Decameron with Kohan, Blake McCormick and Tara Herrmann for Tilted Productions as well as Mike Uppendahl ( Ratched, American Crime Story ) who is set to direct. The series is expected to film in Italy.
"I'm absolutely thrilled that I get to work with Jenji, Tara, Blake, and Netflix again," Jordan said. "I can't wait for people to meet this ridiculous group of characters. I'm sure Giovanni Boccaccio would be… confused?"
Boccaccio's The Decameron has been very influential in the seven centuries since its release in literary works such as Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, William Shakespeare's play All's Well That Ends Well and Molière's play L'école des maris. It has had a number of screen adaptations, most notably the 1971 Pier Paolo Pasolini film The Decameron.
Jordan created and co-executive produced Netflix's Teenage Bounty Hunters and also wrote for Lifetime's American Princess. Both series were executive produced by Kohan, creator/exec producer of Showtime's Weeds and Netflix's Orange Is the New Black and exec producer of Netflix's GLOW and Social Distance.
- Apple TV Plus to take on Netflix at $5 a month. Will people pay for it?
- Netflix releases list of original TV series and movies coming in 2020
- The Best TV Shows to Watch on Netflix Right Now
- After Sparking a Sitcom Revival Frenzy, What’s Next for
- Streaming TV’s Battle of the Binge: "Burn" All Episodes or Take a "Weekly Pulse"?
- PICTURED: Justin Timberlake and co-star Alisha Wainwright tenderly hold hands in the corner of a bar (and he's NOT wearing his wedding ring) after filming scenes for new movie Palmer in New Orleans
- The woke undead: how zombie movies are taking on racial politics
- German Firm May Seek Injunction Over Planned ‘Vikings’ Sequel In Latest Twist To Long-Running Legal Dispute
- Ben Foster Communicates Powerfully Without Words In ‘Leave No Trace’
- The Wire,
- Winter Olympics Day 5 roundup
- TV Review: ‘The L Word: Generation Q’
- New traditions and old standbys: 17 TV shows to stream this Thanksgiving
- Tools of Influence
- Michael Apted’s ’63 Up’ Debuts; ‘The Two Popes’ Sets Limited Run – Specialty B.O. Preview
- The Best Horror Films of 2017 (So Far)
- Can Middle East tourism ever recover?
- The history of the Oscars
- Cairo Industry Days Wraps With Prizes to Promising Arabic Projects
‘The Decameron’: Netflix Orders 14th Century Soapy Drama From Kathleen Jordan & Jenji Kohan have 688 words, post on deadline.com at August 18, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.