Twenty-three-time Grand Slam champ Serena Williams will retire after playing in this year's U.S. Open this month, the tennis player says in a new Vogue magazine article and on her own social media accounts. In the Vogue article published online today, Williams dismisses the word "retirement," preferring instead to use the term "evolution."
"I'm evolving away from tennis, toward other things that are important to me," she says, specifically noting that she'll work with her venture capital firm and devote time to her growing family.
Although she did not specify a date for her departure from professional tennis in the Vogue article, she suggested on social media that this month's U.S. Open might be her last event. "The countdown has begun," she wrote, adding, "I'm gonna relish these next few weeks."
Williams said in Vogue that she and husband Alexis Ohanian plan to have another child: "In the last year, Alexis and I have been trying to have another child, and we recently got some information from my doctor that put my mind at ease and made me feel that whenever we're ready, we can add to our family. I definitely don't want to be pregnant again as an athlete. I need to be two feet into tennis or two feet out."
Williams' last Grand Slam tournament victory came while she was pregnant during the Australian Open in 2017. Her performance at this year's Wimbledon ended in the first round.
- Metahuman Serena Williams Dominates US Open, Wins 18th Grand Slam
- Serena Williams Wins Australian Open Just Like We Said She Would
- Formerly Depressed Serena Williams Now Chasing Down iPhone Thieves Like A Hero
- Tennis Queen Serena Williams To Blow Lid Off Australian Open
- Bianca Andreescu beats Serena Williams to win her first US Open and grand slam title
- Serena Williams Is Queen of Tennis, Everything on
- The Love Story of Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian Is Basically a Very Fancy Rom-Com
- How Serena Williams Will Keep Her Grace Under Fire at Indian Wells
- The Privilege and Pressure of Serena Williams
- Flawless Simona Halep beats Serena Williams to win first Wimbledon
- Silly Mortals Ask Serena Williams Why She Isn't Smiling; Serena Responds Appropriately
- Serena Williams said she owed Naomi Osaka an apology after the US Open. Osaka's response brought her to tears
- Serena Williams fined $10,000 for damaging Wimbledon court
- Serena Williams Will Open Up in a New HBO Show About Her Pregnancy and Return to Tennis
- Serena Williams Calls Out Haters, Quotes Maya Angelou in
- Serena Williams Knocked Out of US Open
- Serena Williams Won't Compete in Upcoming Australian Open: 'I'm Not Where I Personally Want to Be'
- Serena Williams Knocked Out of the U.S. Open Semi-Finals for a Second Year in a Row
- Serena Williams reaches Wimbledon semifinals
- Serena Williams Says She 'Won't Be Silent' About Police Brutality
Serena Williams Plans Retirement Sometime After U.S. Open have 480 words, post on deadline.com at August 9, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.