Former Yankees star Joba Chamberlain says his ex-team is going to have to cut a fat check to Aaron Judge to keep him around next season and longer … telling TMZ Sports he believes they’ve “got to” give him $40 MILLION per year.
A contract of that magnitude would make the outfielder the second-highest paid player in baseball — just $3 mil shy of Max Scherzer ‘s annual $43 million payday — but Joba says the Yanks just have to do it.
“Pay him, now. Immediately,” Joba says. “Whatever he wants. Give him a key to the city.”
Because Judge is 30 years old, Chamberlain tells us he’s not sure how long he’d make the deal go for, but he clearly believes the guy needs a contract north of the historic $37 million-per-year pact that Mike Trout just recently signed with the Angels.
“You got to pay him,” Chamberlain said. “I mean, he's just an absolute figure in NY. It's somebody that you want to hold on to.”
Judge has been one of the best players in the MLB since coming up to the big leagues in 2016 — and he’s now the runaway favorite for AL MVP this season as he’s on pace to hit around 60 home runs.
Despite all that, though, he’s been locked in what appears to be fairly contentious negotiations with the Yankees, who have still yet to give him a new long-term deal even though he’s just months away from free agency.
Clearly, if it were up to Joba, that wouldn’t remain the case for much longer.
“The man deserves to get paid,” the former NY pitcher said. “For sure."
- MLB's top 10 contract extension candidates for 2020, including Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger
- Dodgers' Cody Bellinger says Astros' Jose Altuve 'stole' MVP
- Would YOU pay £8,000 for Princess Pushy's stem cell arthritis treatment? It worked for the wife of the Queen's cousin and countless others... but many doctors are sceptical
- FMIA Week 14: How George Kittle and the ‘Choice’ Route Helped Lift 49ers Over Saints in the Game of the Year
- Aaron Paul shares envy-inducing snaps as he expresses gratitude for his lavish 40th birthday bash in the Dominican Republic: 'I love my friends'
- 'I would follow him into a fire': Aaron Paul proclaims his unwavering trust in Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan as the duo discuss the hit show's sequel film El Camino
- Judges slammed over bizarre scorecard drama throughout UFC 247
- Michael Gove says convicted terrorists could be imprisoned INDEFINITELY as the government braces for a legal battle with human rights lawyers over plans to scrap automatic early release of violent offenders
- Amanda Holden and Alesha Dixon dazzle in complementary jewel-hued dresses at the Manchester leg of Britain's Got Talent auditions
- 'The cast are ridiculously proud of him': 'Dancing On Ice stars to pay tribute to Phillip Schofield' after he came out as gay
- Michael Clarke splits with wife Kyly after seven years of marriage, to pay $40 million in alimony
- Carer says she was not allowed a break after attempting CPR on dying patient
- Judge Rinder confesses to secret crush on Strictly Come Dancing star
- Phillip Schofield pays tribute to his 'incredible' wife of 27 years as he reveals he is gay: Emotional TV star thanks the woman he met when he was a teen heartthrob on Going Live!... and who he proposed to in the nude
- Keeping a plant on your desk can reduce workplace stress, study says
- Leave our lads' long locks alone! In the 21st century, are curls really just for girls? Here, five mums say they are proud to let their sons defy convention
- Year of the Woman? Female Candidates Could Win Big in 2018, but We're Still Far From Parity
- Ref Watch: Raheem Sterling's tackle on Dele Alli not a red card, says Dermot Gallagher
- Why the Yankees are well positioned to withstand the blow of losing James Paxton for a few months
- Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron thinks Astros should be banned 'for life' after sign-stealing scandal
Joba Chamberlain Says Yankees Should Pay Aaron Judge $40 Mil A Year, 'You Got To' have 653 words, post on www.tmz.com at July 2, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.