Civil District Court Judge Robin Giarrusso on Monday granted a temporary restraining order against the implementation of statewide bans on abortion procedures. Louisiana is one of 13 states where legislatures had enacted laws designed to immediately outlaw or nearly outlaw abortion in preparation for the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade .
The 2006 Louisiana law would have outlawed and criminalized both the practice, procurement, sale, and administration of abortion services from the moment of fertilization, save for circumstances in which the life of the pregnant person was at risk
The trigger law isn't the only indication that the Louisiana legislature is itching the crack down on a woman's right to choose. Republicans last month introduced a bill aimed at qualifying the abortion as homicide. The bill was later withdrawn, but the state's GOP has made clear how it feels about the practice, and that it's willing to take action to eliminate it.
Louisiana has one of the highest maternal mortality rates in the United States, and advocates believe that the end of comprehensive reproductive health services in the state will negatively impact maternal health and increase the number of pregnancy-related adverse medical events .
The temporary restraining order provides a temporary respite for medical providers and patients seeking care, and could provide a template for other providers in states facing blanket bans. In Utah, Planned Parenthood has asked a judge to block the state's trigger law, for which an emergency hearing is being held Monday.
- Tennessee abortion trigger ban bill killed in House committee
- Tennessee abortion trigger ban bill making comeback in House
- Supreme Court weighing Louisiana abortion clinic law
- Louisiana abortion case shows John Roberts firmly at Supreme Court’s center
- Brett Kavanaugh Just Dissented on Louisiana Abortion Law. This Could Mean Trouble for Roe v. Wade
- The Supreme Court just set up an election year fight over Louisiana abortion law that limits access
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks Louisiana abortion clinic law
- Supreme Court blocks Louisiana abortion clinic lawYou may also be interested in...
- Supreme Court votes down Louisiana abortion clinic law in victory for pro-choice advocates
- Roberts joins Supreme Court liberals to block Louisiana abortion restrictions
- BREAKING: Louisiana abortions fall to 10-year low
- Louisiana abortion debate could change in a heartbeat
- Supreme Court on 5-4 vote blocks restrictive Louisiana abortion law
- Supreme Court temporarily blocks Louisiana abortion clinic law
- Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts joins liberal justices to block Louisiana abortion clinic law
- Judge says Tampa conversion therapy ban violates First Amendment free-speech rights
- Tennessee GOP refocuses on abortion 'trigger' law after bill fails
- Roberts joins Supreme Court's liberal wing in striking down Louisiana abortion law
- Supreme Court to review ruling on Louisiana abortion law
- Law banning abortion after a detectable fetal heartbeat is set for consideration by Louisiana Legislature
Judge Slaps Down Louisiana’s Abortion Trigger Ban — For Now have 486 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at June 27, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.