Donald Trump 's plan to take his nascent media company public has had another setback, as federal prosecutors have issued subpoenas to board members of the firm that was to acquire it en route to an IPO.
Digital World Acquisition Corp., a special-purpose acquisition company (aka a blank-check firm), said in an SEC filing that the subpoenas are part of probes of the company by the Department of Justice and the SEC. The actions "could materially delay, materially impede, or prevent the consummation of the business combination," the filing warned.
The initial product of Trump's ambitions in media and technology is social media platform Truth Social, which has been operating for the past few months but to little effect. It has not drawn users away from other social media platforms, as was its initial intent. Trump was banned by Twitter after his statements and behavior on January 6, 2021, after the assault on the U.S. Capitol.
Trump Media & Technology Group Corp. and Digital World agreed to merge last October, projecting that the transaction would close in the second half of 2022.
Shares in Digital World, the publicly traded vehicle for the Trump deal, declined 9% in morning trading.
Today's update from the company noted that the federal investigations had been previously disclosed. But last Friday, the company disclosed that it received a grand jury subpoena with "substantially similar requests" to the previous subpoenas.
The focus of the probes, the company said, is Digital World's due diligence related to the Trump company as well as communications regarding and due diligence of potential targets other than Trump's firm. Investigators are also looking at "relationships between and among Digital World (and/or certain of Digital World's officers and directors) and other entities (including ARC Global Investments II LLC, Digital World's sponsor, and certain advisors, including Digital World's underwriter and financial advisor in its initial public offering)," the filing said.
- Hoax review: Fox News, Donald Trump and truth vs owning the libs
- Kellyanne Conway To Depart As Top Adviser To Donald Trump
- Top Democrat says Donald Trump’s remarks on TikTok deal are inappropriate
- Donald Trump tweets 'does he even know what's happening?' as Joe Biden is formally nominated as the Democratic candidate - and Jill lashes back 'ridiculous!'
- Donald Trump: US Treasury should get cut of TikTok deal
- Jeffrey Epstein showed off 14-year-old ‘sex slave’ to Donald Trump and said ‘this is a good one, right?’, lawsuit claims
- 'He will tear down democracy to win.' Barack Obama flames Donald Trump for narcissism, conspiracy theories, corruption and laziness and calls his presidency a 'reality show for the attention he craves' as he pleads with people to vote for Joe Biden
- Donald Trump latest news: President joins TikTok rival Triller as brother Robert’s funeral could be at White House
- Donald Trump interrupted briefing on hurricane that killed 52 Americans to ask 'do they always spin in this direction' and told Homeland Security chief he 'loved' her teargassing migrants, Republican official who now backs Biden reveals
- Donald Trump says QAnon followers 'like me very much and I appreciate it' and that they 'love our country' despite his own FBI labeling conspiracy theory a domestic terror threat
- 'Robert, I Love You. Rest In Peace!': Donald Trump holds funeral service at the White House for his younger brother Robert who died last week aged 71 - the first such ceremony held there since the death of JFK in 1963
- Donald Trump denies any ties to ex-lawyer Michael Cohen’s crimes
- Donald Trump tweets 'save the Post Office!' and complains that Democrats have summoned his controversial postmaster general to testify during Republican Convention
- Will Donald Trump Defang Corporate Climate Disclosure Rule?
- The bully pulpit: Donald Trump pushes Washington, but coronavirus resists
- 'HE SPIED ON MY CAMPAIGN!' Donald Trump rage-tweets at Barack Obama and Kamala Harris after his predecessor calls him a threat to democracy and incapable of meeting the 'weight of the office' he holds
- Donald Trump’s vision of American greatness at centre of convention
- Trump Jr. seeks to elect 'new blood' to Republican Party
- Donald Trump accuses Democrats of 'using COVID to steal an election' claiming mail-in ballots will 'defraud the American people of a fair and free election' as he accepts Republican nomination at surprise convention speech
- BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump's brother Robert dies in New York hospital at the age of 71 one day after visit from the president
Donald Trump Media Business Plans Muddied By New Twist In Federal Merger Probe have 739 words, post on deadline.com at June 27, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.