Billie Eilish spoke out strongly against the US Supreme Court decision to end the constitutional right to abortion from her position on stage at Glastonbury .
The 20-year-old singer told the enormous crowd in front of the Pyramid Stage, "Today is a really, really dark day for women in the US.
"I'm just going to say that because I can't bear to think about it any longer."
She went on to dedicate her song about older men who abuse their position, "Your Power", to everyone affected by the decision announced earlier on Friday.
Eilish's appearance at Glastonbury made her the youngest ever solo headliner in the Festival's history.
Another performer to protest the decision was folk star Phoebe Bridgers, who made her debut on the John Peel stage and slammed the "old Supreme Court justices "who try to tell us what to do with our bodies."
The ruling reverses 50 years of precedent from the landmark 1973 case that gave women in the U.S. the right under federal law to terminate a pregnancy, and a subsequent 1992 decision — Planned Parenthood v. Casey — that largely maintained the right.
"The Court finds that the right to abortion is not deeply rooted in the Nation's history and tradition," said Friday's opinion, announced by the Court.
- ‘Everybody’s Rights Are on The Chopping Block’: US Supreme Court to Rule on Abortion, LGBTQ Rights
- Dalit protests turn violent during Bharat
- No more trees would be cut, 2,141 already chopped: Mumbai Metro
- SC to hear case for Mumbai's Aarey trees, activists get bail
- Their terrifying last moments: A decade of domestic violence deaths in Hindu and Sikh communities
- ED opposing bail only to harm my health says Chidambaram
- US election glossary: A-Z guide to political jargon
- Alec Baldwin celebrates his birthday with Hilaria and kids in dressing room at The Tonight Show
- No Hollywood ending for Sam Burgess as professional and personal lives suffer blows
- Meet the law student who moved SC on Aarey
- When The Allies Wanted A German Nuclear Scientist Dead, They Sent A Ballplayer To Kill Him
- Cong twisting my statement: BS Yediyurappa defends himself on Operation Kamala claims
- Stephen Harper: master manipulator
- The best free Kindle books
- US gun laws: Why it won't follow New Zealand's lead
- WHIP LIST: The 228 House Democrats backing an impeachment inquiry
- Brexit: UK rejects early election, suspends Parliament
- How many mulligans will Warren get?
- Can Polarized American Politics Find the Middle Way?
- A looming teacher strike in Chicago is about far more than just salaries
“Dark Day”: Billie Eilish Slams Supreme Court Abortion Decision From Glastonbury Stage have 419 words, post on deadline.com at June 25, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.