Donald Trump reportedly enjoyed watching a mob of his supporters storm the Capitol last Jan. 6 . He also reportedly enjoyed that some of them were chanting for Vice President Mike Pence to be hung for failing to illegally stop the certification of the 2020 election results. He didn't think it was such a bad idea, either, according to Chief of Staff Mark Meadows .
The New York Times reported on Wednesday that Meadows told colleagues on Jan. 6 that Trump had said, as the Times puts it, "something to the effect of, maybe Mr. Pence should be hung." Sources told the Times that Meadows' recounting of Trump's comment was relayed to the Jan. 6 committee by at least one witness, and that Cassidy Hutchinson, a former Meadows aide who was present at the time, confirmed it.
Trump has previously defended the rioters who chanted for Pence to be hung. "Well, the people were very angry," he told Jonathan Karl of ABC News, responding to the chants. "Because it's common sense that you're supposed to protect … If you know a vote if fraudulent, how can you pass along a fraudulent vote to Congress?"
Taylor Budowich, Trump's spokesperson, responded to Wednesday's report by attacking the Jan. 6 committee, but hefailing to address the allegation that the former president may have supported Pence's execution. "This partisan committee's vague 'leaks,' anonymous testimony and willingness to alter evidence proves it's just an extension of the Democrat smear campaign that has been exposed time and time again for being fabricated and dishonest," he told the Times . "Americans are tired of the Democrat lies and the charades, but, sadly, it's the only thing they have to offer."
Budowich earlier this week attacked Pence, as well, calling his support for Georgia Governor Brian Kemp's reelection campaign is part of a "desperate" attempt to "chase his lost relevance." Trump, who has attacked Kemp for not doing more to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia, endorsed David Perdue in the Republican gubernatorial primary. Kemp defeated Perdue on Tuesday night by over 50 percentage points .
- Robert De Niro Weighs in on Mike Pence Becoming President If Donald Trump Gets Impeached
- WATCH: Mike Pence Affirms Trump Administration’s Pro-Gun Stance At NRA Event
- 'I'm not going anywhere!' Furious Joe Biden vows that Donald Trump will 'not destroy me' amid the Ukraine impeachment scandal hours after the president called him and his son Hunter 'stone-cold crooked'
- First Lady Melania stuns in a $6,000 ruffled gown alongside husband Donald as members of the Trump administration - including Kellyanne Conway, Steve Mnuchin and his wife Louise Linton - make a glamorous entrance at the White House State Dinner
- 'She’ll never be put in the UN': Trump INSULTS 'not too diplomatic' aide he fired at Melania's request and reveals John Kelly 'will move on', as he compares his White House to 'a well-oiled machine'
- Trump Got Tough on China. It Didn’t Work.
- The Hill's Morning Report - Sponsored by AdvaMed - House panel expected to approve impeachment articles Thursday
- Mitch McConnell dismisses Donald Trump's demand for witnesses at his Senate trial as 'mutually-assured destruction' as he pushes for a rapid drama-free acquittal
- Donald Trump: I hope Russia finds Hillary Clinton's emails
- Donald Trump has ALREADY 'raised' Joe Biden with China's president Xi in call stashed on same secret server as Ukraine transcript - and said he would keep QUIET about crackdown in Hong Kong during trade talks
- Trump, terror and Brexit: Biggest stories of 2016, the year the world was rocked by tragedy
- The Hill's 12:30 Report — Presented by UANI — Sparks fly as House Judiciary debates impeachment articles
- Trump is set to host his 85th campaign rally since winning the White House. Here's why it'll be more than a speech
- How Do Democrats Beat Trump in 2020? Barack Obama Has Some Ideas
- The Hill's Morning Report - Trump, Biden go toe-to-toe in Iowa
- Pence Warns Iran: ‘We’re Locked And Loaded’
- As Trump impeachment inquiry looms, voters react with joy, fury, ambivalence
- The Hill's Morning Report — Sponsored by AdvaMed — House panel delays impeachment vote until Friday
- WATCH: Trump Awards Hero Dog Conan For Role In Tracking ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi
- Inside Trump’s Disastrous ‘Secret’ Drug War Plans for Central America
Trump Didn’t Think Jan. 6 Rioters Hanging Mike Pence Was Such a Bad Idea: Report have 720 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at May 25, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.