Gomez, who was born and raised in Grand Prairie, Texas (outside Dallas), wrote on Twitter Tuesday night, "Today in my home state of Texas 18 innocent students were killed while simply trying to get an education. A teacher killed doing her job; an invaluable yet sadly under appreciated job. If children aren't safe at school where are they safe?" (The death toll has since been updated to 19 students.)
As part of her call to action, Gomez shared a link to the website for the nonprofit, Everytown for Gun Safety. She continued: "It's so frustrating and I'm not sure what to say anymore. Those in power need to stop giving lip service and actually change the laws to prevent these shootings in the future."
It's so frustrating and I'm not sure what to say anymore. Those in power need to stop giving lip service and actually change the laws to prevent these shootings in the future. https://t.co/xCTiOdjv6I
— Selena Gomez (@selenagomez) May 25, 2022
At least 19 children and two adults were killed at Robb Elementary in Uvalde; the school educates second, third, and fourth graders. The shooter was identified as Salvador Ramos, an 18-year-old man who lived in Uvalde and died at the scene.
Along with Gomez, another major Texas celebrity to voice his frustration with yesterday's tragedy was Matthew McConaughey, who was actually born in Uvalde. The actor issued his own rallying cry of sorts , but stopped short of specifically calling for stricter gun legislation, nor did he mention guns or the second amendment. "We must do better," McConaughey said. "Action must be taken so that no parent has to experience what the parents in Uvalde and the others before them have endured."
Elsewhere, Taylor Swift wrote , "Filled with rage and grief, and so broken by the murders in Uvalde… By the ways in which we, as a nation, have become conditioned to unfathomable and unbearable heartbreak." And Olivia Rodrigo , at her concert in Los Angeles last night, said, "I wish we would never have to worry about our safety or our lives at places that are dedicated to our learning and growing. And I'm so heartbroken that this is the reality that we're living in — and we need stricter gun control laws in America."
- Social media giants delete Trump supporters: Facebook removes 'violent' groups organizing 'Stop The Steal' marches - while Twitter slaps warnings on Fox clips of Republican politicians discussing alleged voter fraud
- "I'm never gonna see my kid again": Parents, victims urge Trump for changes after shootings
- Transcript: Florida school shooting survivors on "Face the Nation," Feb. 18, 2018
- 'Her death is a work of pure evil': Friends mourn murder of waitress slaughtered in Vienna gun rampage as it’s revealed Islamist gunman was killed when cop shot him in the lung and spine
- Landslide Victory For Gun Sales
- The best paintball guns to get on the field for 2020
- Senate is TIED at 47-47 as Mark Kelly flips John McCain's Arizona seat but Lindsey Graham survives as Democrats' bid to take control of Senate collapses - and Nancy Pelosi fails to grab any GOP seats
- Emmanuel Macron could announce new nationwide French lockdown TODAY: President will address nation as 'out of control' virus causes 523 deaths in 24hrs - the most since April - and protests sweep Europe
- IndiGo’s investment in A321s is giving, well, flying returns
- Nigeria @60: How we can remain one — Nigerians
- QAnon Goes to Washington
- Democrats Are Moving Fast on the Filibuster. Biden Isn’t Yet.
- Tory humiliation as Labour gain 823 seats: Cameron says 'sorry' after defeat (but Boris looks pretty happy as he is victorious over Ken)
- Where does Judge Amy Coney Barrett stand on the Second Amendment?
- After bitterly divided election, what's next for America
- Donald Trump in quotes and tweets: What US President has to say about everything from women and Russia to Diet Coke and Katy Perry
- How western travel influencers got tangled up in Pakistan's politics
- Biden defeats Trump in an election he made about character of the nation and the President
- How liberals made the world nuts: They used to champion freedom and tolerance - and PIERS MORGAN has always been proud to be one. So how, he asks in his new book, have liberals become a shrieking mob hell-bent on silencing all dissent?
- Western states play key role in Democratic comeback in U.S. presidential election
Selena Gomez Demands Politicians ‘Stop Giving Lip Service’ to Gun Control After Uvalde Shooting have 775 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at May 25, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.