The project is Penn's latest directorial effort, one in which he also stars with real-life daughter Dylan Penn. Based on the autobiographical Flim-Flam Man: The True Story of My Father's Counterfeit Life written by Jennifer Vogel, Flag Day is about the unique bond between a daughter and a messed-up but charismatic father, John Vogel, who spent years in prison for a bank robbery, was a grand schemer and dreamer, and who became the most notorious counterfeiter in U.S. history, single-handedly faking over $20 million.
Deadline's reviewer, Pete Hammond called Penn's character "an underworld guy who feels he is always just one step away from the American Dream."
Penn told the Independent he feels the Vogel is reflective of a certain "white American male entitlement" that he sees in the country these days. "Or rather, I should say, [in the] belief that this American Dream that was promised [to] them entitles them to it. And that is a very hard wiring to correct."
It's likely in that context, and in the context of the film's relationship between a less-then-stellar father and his daughter, that Penn's comments were made, beginning with his assertion that "there has been an absence of male behavior" in society today.
"I am in the club that believes that men in American culture have become wildly feminized," Penn told the British publication i as he discussed the film. "I don't think that being a brute or having insensitivity or disrespect for women is anything to do with masculinity, or ever did. But I don't think that [in order] to be fair to women, we should become them."
Asked about those comments by the Independent, he said in another interview published this week, "I think that men have, in my view, become quite feminized. I have these very strong women in my life who do not take masculinity as a sign of oppression toward them. There are a lot of, I think, cowardly genes that lead to people surrendering their jeans and putting on a skirt."
Deadline reached out to Penn's reps, but they had no further comment.
- Great Scot: Nobody Pushes Sean Connery Around
- James Bond actor Sir Sean Connery dies in his sleep aged 90: Oscar-winning 007 legend passes away in the Bahamas after being 'unwell for some time'
- 'Audiences won’t have seen anything like this': how Iranian film Chess of the Wind was reborn
- Most influential Hispanic Americans in Hollywood’s film industry
- 'I don’t sleep. I'm afraid to open the post': Covid's continued effect for film industry workers
- Kris Jenner 'pulled the plug on KUWTK after Kim, Kourtney and Kylie wanted to QUIT the show... while Khloe and Scott Disick are devastated'
- Sean Connery, famed for playing James Bond, dies age 90
- The 100 best films on Amazon Prime to watch right now
- The Eerie Similarities Between Alleged Trump Scandals and 'All the President's Men'
- How iconic James Bond role catapulted smooth-talking ex-milkman Sir Sean Connery to became the ‘world’s greatest Scot’
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians has no spinoffs planned says producer Ryan Seacrest: 'We have not crossed that bridge yet'
- Where to Stream 25 of Sean Connery’s Movies
- No lockdown, no worries! Sweden is averaging ONE COVID death a day and cases are nosediving. Here's how it compares to Australia - where millions are confined to their homes and stubborn premiers keep borders shut
- Charleston officials say they will defy South Carolina law and remove statue of slavery advocate John C. Calhoun on the fifth anniversary of the massacre of black church members by a white supremacist
- Oscars: Fall Film Fest Circuit Aims To Promote Early Contenders McDormand, Winslet, Hopkins, King, And More – But Is It Just Too Damn Early?
- Kanye West's VERY public breakdown, declining ratings, key family members refusing to film and the backlash over THAT fight: Why the Kardashians have pulled the plug after 14 years of KUWTK
- Film Unleashes a Boiler Full of Flames
- Sean Connery, The Scottish Actor Who Introduced The World To James Bond, Has Died
- Shattered daughter, 26, views her father's casket in full PPE while surrounded by security guards after missing the funeral service when Annastacia Palaszczuk refused to let her attend even though she's from virus-free Canberra
- 'Quite frankly terrifying': How the QAnon conspiracy theory is taking root in the UK
Sean Penn, Discussing His Father-Daughter Film ‘Flag Day,’ Says: “Men Have, In My View, Become Quite Feminized” have 755 words, post on deadline.com at January 28, 2022. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.