Eddie Redmayne attends the British premiere of "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" movie in London, Britain, Nov. 13, 2018. Image: Reuters/Toby Melville
LONDON — Oscar-winning actor Eddie Redmayne makes a return to London's West End in a new production of the musical "Cabaret," which opened on Sunday.
Redmayne plays the role of Emcee, alongside stage and screen star Jessie Buckley, in the production directed by Rebecca Frecknall.
"He's the most hard-working, conscientious actor I have ever worked with," Frecknall said of Redmayne. "His work ethic is incredible, and his love of the role and the production and the team is absolutely wonderful, so he's been a real anchor for the piece."
The Tony Award-wining musical was originally performed on Broadway in 1966 and features songs such as "Willkommen."
The musical is based on Christopher Isherwood's 1939 novel "Goodbye to Berlin," which chronicles in part the seedy cabaret nightlife of the German capital in the final years of the Weimar Republic.
Asked about how the COVID-19 pandemic had impacted the rehearsals and production of the show, Frecknall said: "It's been challenging but it's never stopped us and it could have been so much harder with the wrong attitude, so everyone's been brilliant at making it come together."
The revival is being performed at London's Kit Kat Club until May. DC/JB
The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox
- Eddie Redmayne Could Star in Potter Spinoff ‘Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them’
- Free Steam keys, HTC Vive, Star Citizen: 15 cool new things at the PCG Weekender
- Fantastic Beasts 2 reveals its official title, release date, synopsis, and young Dumbledore
- Dumbledore will appear in Fantastic Beasts 2, but who should play the future head of Hogwarts?
- Jupiter Ascending Review
- Box office hits and misses: Creed goes the distance and Mockingjay survives another week
- Fantastic Beasts 2 casts Johnny Depp as Grindelwald, the second most evil wizard of all time
- Nvidia Shield Android TV review
- Brands leap to Instagram Stories, find success
- IDC Announces Winners of Sixth HPC Innovation Excellence Awards
- Remastered Games are Bringing Players a Blast from the Past on New Consoles, and That’s Not a Bad Thing
- Mafia 3 Has Over 100 Classic Songs For Every Mood
- Analysis: How Doctor Who's Game Illuminates Public-Funding Conundrums
- Calcutta's architecture is unique. Its destruction is a disaster for the city
- Watch: Tom Hardy pulls double duty as twin crime bosses in Legend
- Can Former Amazon Fire TV Exec Save Apple TV From Itself?
- Digital actors will never replace humans, says Andy Serkis (and he would know)
- Kevin Spacey Ends His 11 Year Tenure at The Old Vic
- The best Wii U games: June 2015
- Nintendo’s new IP Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. arrives on 3DS next year
Eddie Redmayne stars in London revival of ‘Cabaret’ have 499 words, post on entertainment.inquirer.net at December 13, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.