Eighty-three-year-old film director Ridley Scott’s attempt at boutique drama from a real life tale of dynasty, greed, treachery and murder based on a book by Sara Gay Forden had all the ingredients for a gripping dramatic entertainer. Unfortunately, neither the elements put together here, the A-list actors in the cast nor their individually notable performances come together as a compulsive whole in House of Gucci that released in India on 26 November 2021.
This is Magnum Opus specialist Scott’s (after the 2017 All the Money in the World ) most recent attempt at telling a dramatic, non-heroic story. It’s a sweeping take on the events that led to the extinction of dynastic control of a celebrated fashion empire underlined by its scandalous history of backstabbing, betrayal, greed and murder.
When Patrizia Reggiani (Lady Gaga), an outsider from a transport business background, marries into the Gucci family, Maurizio Gucci (Adam Driver) to be precise, her unbridled ambition begins to tear down the family legacy, triggering deceit, revenge, and murder.
The cast of A-listers that include the two leads alongside Jeremy Irons, Al Pacino, Jared Leto turn in individualistic performances that fail to mesh into a consummate whole. Driver gives a subdued, internalised and nuanced performance while Lady Gaga amps it up to the point of camp. Jared Leto appears to be trying too hard, Jeremy Irons as Maurizio’s father isn’t note perfect and Al Pacino makes flamboyance his meter. Salma Hayek and Camille Cottin have little to do here.
The narrative lacks a consistent tone and this causes the experience to fluctuate between two extremes – a somber-serious drama and over-the-top-excess. It feels as though Ridley Scott allowed his actors to have the final say while directing House of Gucci .
The standout aspects in this film are mostly technical. Arthur Max’s meticulous production design, Dariusz Wolski’s couture class period hugging cinematography, Janty Yates costumes for Lady Gaga and Suiting for Driver by a New York based tailor.
You are likely to look in awe at the lavishness of the Gucci lifestyle on display here but the overall experience doesn’t quite hit the right notes.
We will go with 2.5 / 5 stars for House of Gucci.
- A New Hair Color Is Born! Lady Gaga Dyes Her Hair to Match Her Dress at the 2019 Golden Globes
- The Banker movie review: Samuel L Jackson, Anthony Mackie’s Apple TV original offers comfort during coronavirus lockdown
- The 17 best new movies to stream on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO
- Disney Plus content for the UK revealed: The full list of Disney, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel movies and TV shows available to watch from March 24
- Peaky Blinders and Line Of Duty suspend filming as coronavirus pandemic brings Britain's TV industry to its knees
- The Crown carries on with filming series four amid the coronavirus pandemic as other shows shut down production
- The best online streaming services for movies and TV
- Comic Book Reviews for This Week: 3/18/2020
- How Adam Levine Went From Playboy Rock Star to Doting Family Man
- Hollywood's Top Doctors Revealed: Exclusive Survey
- Royally isolated: Charles and Camilla shut down Clarence House, William and Kate cut off from her mother, and the Queen and Philip are watching TV with her rock 'Big Paul' at Windsor. Never has The Firm been so separated as they go on coronavirus lockdown
- Coronavirus outbreak: Hindi film industry stands to lose Rs 800 crore
- My fringe benefits: Mumsnet threads are dedicated to it, and some cruelly joke it makes her look like a raunchy 70s movie star. But in this uproarious confession, RACHEL JOHNSON says her fringe is what makes her a 'hairlebrity'
- Daniel Craig is mobbed by fans as he joins his No Time To Die co-stars Rami Malek and Lea Seydoux in Times Square for Good Morning America as film's trailer is released
- 13 Biggest Star Wars: The Force Awakens Spoilers & Secrets
- Everything That’s Happened in the Sony Leak Scandal
- The best shows and original series on Netflix right now
- Will Hitman's Bodyguard or Logan Lucky Be the Last Big Hit of Summer?
- John Turturro on ‘Plot Against America’ and Resurrecting Jesus Quintana
- ‘Some soles last 1,000 years in landfill’: the truth about the sneaker mountain
House of Gucci Movie Review Exclusive: Lady Gaga-Adam Driver Film Is High On Fashion, Short Of Eloquence have 726 words, post on www.filmibeat.com at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.