Hilary Smith , a 23-year NBCUniversal PR veteran who most recently served as EVP Corporate Communications and Social Impact, is leaving her corporate communication role to focus on the social impact part of her responsibilities full-time. The announcement was made internally this morning by Adam Miller, Chief Administrative Officer, Comcast and EVP, NBCUniversal.
"As many of you are aware, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has become increasingly important to the company. Over the last year, NBCUniversal has stepped up in this area, more than doubling the amount of charitable grants we provide to deserving organizations, while also increasing our focus on the employee engagement programs that go hand-in-hand with this funding," Miller said in a memo (you can read it in full below). "Given the increased significance and scope of this work, (NBCU CEO) Jeff (Shell) and I have asked Hilary Smith to lead CSR globally for NBCUniversal, full time, and we are very pleased that she has agreed to take on this challenge."
In her new role, Smith will continue to report to Miller. She will also continue to run Corporate Communications until a successor is found.
Smith joined NBCU in 1998 as Director Communications for NBC News. She moved up steadily through the ranks, overseeing communications for various NBCU networks and platforms, including USA, Bravo, Oxygen, Telemundo, Fandango and iVillage, and was named to her most recent position of EVP Corporate Communications and Social Impact in 2015. Smith also recently joined the advisory board of USC Annenberg's Center for Public Relations and sits on the boards of non-profits Step Up Women's Network, The Comcast Foundation, and the Center for Communications.
Here is Miller's memo:
As many of you are aware, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has become increasingly important to the company. Over the last year, NBCUniversal has stepped up in this area, more than doubling the amount of charitable grants we provide to deserving organizations, while also increasing our focus on the employee engagement programs that go hand-in-hand with this funding.
Given the increased significance and scope of this work, Jeff and I have asked Hilary Smith to lead CSR globally for NBCUniversal, full time, and we are very pleased that she has agreed to take on this challenge. In her new role, Hilary will continue to report to me and to work closely with business leaders throughout the company on critical CSR initiatives. She will also continue to run Corporate Communications until we identify her successor.
Hilary and her team have been doing outstanding work in CSR. Through our corporate social impact campaign, "NBCUnites," we currently have 40 non-profit partners and have engaged over 24,000 employee volunteers. In 2020 and 2021, we added 12 new partners – thanks in large part to additional money from Comcast's $100 million 3-year social justice-focused pledge. This has created a huge opportunity to take our community outreach to new heights.
As a next step, Hilary and her team are focusing on deepening our non-profit partnerships to develop pipeline programs to place their constituents into jobs at NBCU. We will also continue to expand the company's support for minority-led non-profit organizations. Additionally, we are broadening opportunities for our employees to do skills-based pro bono work and play a larger role in helping to direct some of our charitable funding.
In partnership with the Talent Lab, Hilary's group will help expand CSR-focused education programs for employees, including new training courses on non-profit board service and more immersive volunteer experiences.
The company's positive community impact should make us all proud to work here, and I know Hilary and her team will continue to build on this vital effort to make a difference.
Please join me in congratulating Hilary.
- 20 Leading Social Impact Platforms Making A Difference With Digital Potential
- ‘Corporate America Has Failed Black America’
- The Corporate Response To COVID-19 And Inequality: A Big Data Analysis
- CSR spends on Covid may land companies in a tax tangle
- How to Channel Employee Activism and Lead with Social Advocacy
- Putting corporate bond market in the right track
- Manulife Vietnam named No.1 MDRT company in Vietnam
- Biden’s Antitrust Team Signals a Big Swing at Corporate Titans
- Cabinet ministers demand rethink on plans to make company directors liable
- What Is The Corporate Role In Leading For Racial Equity?
- Corporate Leadership by Race
- These companies are mandating employees get the COVID vaccine
- China's biggest private companies are in chaos. It's all part of Beijing's plan
- How a company may change India's politics
- Lionsgate Ups Rahwa Ghebre-Ab To New Position As EVP, Chief Ethics And Legal Compliance Officer
- Corporate America to workers: Get vaccinated or get out
- Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Lam Research Corporation (LRCX) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Eldorado Gold Corporation (EGO) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Tech Companies Expect Free High-Speed Internet for Poorer Americans to Pay Off Later
NBCUniversal Corporate Comms Chief Hilary Smith To Lead Company’s Corporate Social Responsibility have 798 words, post on deadline.com at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.