EXCLUSIVE: In what would be the first major piece of casting since officially confirming Oppenheimer will be his next film, Christopher Nolan looks to have found Cillian Murphy a co-star to join him in what is believed to be an all-star ensemble. Sources tell Deadline that Emily Blunt is in talks to join Murphy in the Universal tentpole that Nolan will write and direct. Sources say she will play the wife of J. Robert Oppenheimer (Murphy), the scientist who ran the Manhattan Project that led to the invention of the atomic bomb. The film will bow on July 21, 2023, a slot typically saved for Nolan films in the past.
Reps for Universal and Blunt could not be reached for comment.
Universal will distribute Oppenheimer theatrically worldwide and release the film in North American. Nolan will also be producing along with Emma Thomas and Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven. The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and the late Martin J. Sherwin.
Deadline was first to announce this would be Nolan's next film and also broke the news of Universal landing the rights to film following a heated bidding war among almost every major suitor in town. Deadline also first mentioned that Murphy would have a key role in the project, which is now confirmed to be the man at the center of the story.
Blunt had not one but two films crossing the $100 million domestic marker this year, a feat no leading actor or actress has accomplished since the box office reset. She reprised her leading role in A Quiet Place Part II, which has grossed $160 million domestically and nearly $300 million worldwide. She followed that up with Jungle Cruise, starring opposite Dwayne Johnson, with that film grossing $114 million domestic.
She is repped by CAA.
- Zoe Kravitz to play Catwoman in upcoming film "The Batman"
- How John Krasinski Went From Nerdy Everyman to Bona Fide Action Hero
- Batman casts a heavy shadow over The CW’s new Batwoman series
- You know last year's top movies. Now let us make the case for our favorites
- MovieBob's 2018 ACADEMY AWARDS Preview
- Your Creative Calendar: 73 Things To Do, See, And Hear This August
- 10 Hardcore DIY Halloween Projects
- The best movies you can watch on Amazon Prime this October
- The best comedies on Netflix this January
- Mom tries to find donor for her 7-year-old: ‘I just want to keep my son alive.’
- Best Amazon Prime TV shows (January 2018): 50 great series to watch today
- Introducing the Strictly Come Dancing class of 2019! Soap star Catherine Tyldesley, YouTuber Saffron Barker, Drag Race favourite Michelle Visage and ex-Lioness Alex Scott dust off their dancing shoes in first official portraits
- Netflix's 'Altered Carbon' cast on the power of representation
Emily Blunt In Talks To Join Christopher Nolan’s Next Film ‘Oppenheimer’ At Universal have 456 words, post on deadline.com at October 20, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.