EXCLUSIVE: Pluto TV, which was founded in 2014, has become a $1 billion-a-year business a year ahead of schedule.
The free streaming service's parent company, ViacomCBS , confirmed the annual revenue milestone during its second-quarter earnings call with analysts. CEO Bob Bakish had previously signaled the billion-dollar mark would be hit in 2022. Viacom acquired Pluto for $340 million in cash in January 2019, months before reuniting with CBS.
"The power of Pluto TV is unquestionable," Bakish said on the call, saying it will "comfortably" hit the $1 billion threshold this year. He noted that the U.S. version now has 200,000 hours of programming available, a level that has doubled in the past year.
Pluto's free, ad-supported offering is now available in 25 countries around the world and has 52 million active users each month, per the latest stats today from ViacomCBS. It was the leading contributor to a 102% year-over-year surge in overall streaming revenue at the company during the quarter.
Watch on Deadline
"We're incredibly excited and proud," said Tom Ryan , CEO of streaming at ViacomCBS and a co-founder of Pluto, in an interview. "We scaled it from a contrarian idea to over a billion dollars in revenue in seven years."
Pluto started out as an early player in ad-supported video on demand, or AVOD , before adding live channels and an on-screen programming guide to replicate the traditional TV viewing experience. The more than 200 live, linear channels on Pluto have been a key element in the traction it has gained with both viewers and advertisers. The channel offerings are curated versions of what is available via the traditional pay-TV bundle, and show- or character-centric channels devoted to Survivor or James Bond joining network fare.
As with subscription sibling Paramount+, live sports and news are foundational elements of Pluto and have helped it increase average view time by 45%.
"A lot of the power of live has traditionally not been taken advantage of in streaming," Ryan said. As in the traditional pay-TV realm, "people tend to gravitate to a handful of channels they love" on Pluto, Ryan said, but because the "cost point is zero … people do love channel-surfing."
In the merged company, which is looking to work the synergy levers, Pluto has become a "very effective front porch" for funneling viewers to Showtime, CBS and other platforms. Episodes of series as well as library films are offered on the Paramount Pics Showtime Selects channels on Pluto. Ryan said those offerings are "among the highest performers on Pluto, generating significant leads" for customer acquisition. The platform has even exceeded YouTube, which is usually the most potent driver of subscriptions.
- 2011 Predictions: Macworld's annual forecast of the year ahead
- Apple Reports Q4 2014 Year-End Results: $8.5 Billion Profit on $42.1 Billion in Revenue [Call Concluded]
- Roblox Passes $2.5 Billion Mobile Revenue Ahead Of Successful Public Listing
- Recorded Music Grew $1.5 Billion in the Pandemic Year
- November marijuana sales push Colorado’s industry to $2 billion annually for the first time
- HCL Tech declares one-time bonus worth over Rs 700 cr for staff to mark USD 10 bn-revenue milestone
- Twitter aims to hit $7.5 billion in annual revenue in 2023: Jack Dorsey
- App spending to reach $270 billion annually by 2025
- New Study Finds Undervaluing Of Black-Led Projects Costs Hollywood $10 Billion Annually
- Local film industry has new high hopes of a successful year ahead
- Colorado marijuana sales hit $2.2 billion in highest-selling year yet
- Hanoi: Lunar New Year 2021 Tree-planting festival inaugurated
- What's On Apple TV? What you can watch on Apple TV+
- Hanoi launches tree-planting festival on New Year of Bufallo
- ViacomCBS And NFL Reach New Agreement, Now Multiplatform Home Of League Through 2033
- In revenue push, Twitter considers charging users for special content
- Born in the Year of the Buffalo
- Baidu sees revenue jump 5% to $4.7b
- Colorado’s Annual Marijuana Sales Revenue Tops $2 Billion For First Time
- Morgan Stanley to buy Eaton Vance for US$7 billion in investment-management push
Pluto TV Reaches $1 Billion Annual Revenue Milestone A Year Ahead Of Schedule have 642 words, post on deadline.com at August 5, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.