EXCLUSIVE: Last Of The Right Whales , Nadine Pequeneza's recently completed documentary about the fight to save the titular sea mammal, has been picked up by Off The Fence , the distribution and production company behind Oscar winning doc My Octopus Teacher .
The South African outfit has taken all international rights excluding territories where deals have been concluded, namely Germany (SWR), France (ARTE) and Canada (the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). Producer HitPlay Productions has retained U.S. rights. A theatrical release is being planned via IndieCan Entertainment in Canada for the fall. CBC will air in 2022.
The doc is the story of a disparate group of people – a wildlife photographer, a marine biologist, a whale rescuer, and a crab fisherman – united in their cause to save the North Atlantic right whale. Shot in 4K, the team had unprecedented access to film the migration of the whales from their breeding ground off the coast of Florida to their new feeding area in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
" Last of the Right Whales is an important story of hope, impact and action, all of which plays into Off the Fence's strengths as a distributor. Nadine and her team at HitPlay Productions have incredible access and use stunning visuals of these Great Whales to reinforce why it's so important we save these animals who are on the brink of extinction. We're very excited to be working with such a talented team and look forward to bringing this project to our international clients," said Loren Baxter, Head of Acquisitions at Off the Fence.
Watch on Deadline
"Off The Fence is the perfect distribution partner for Last of the Right Whales . Loren Baxter and her team have been tracking our progress since the start of production and we couldn't be more thrilled to have them take this incredibly important story into the world," commented director Nadine Pequeneza.
- The REAL 10 year challenge: Celebs and charities take over the Instagram sensation by posting pictures of glaciers reduced to a few bits of ice and bare coral reefs to raise awareness of climate change
- Duchess dazzles in traditional kurta! Kate Middleton dons royal blue outfit from local designer as she and Prince William visit Islamabad school during the first full day of their Pakistan tour
- So much for the BAN! Extinction Rebellion founder takes a hammer to the Department for Transport as activists blockade building... less than 24 hours after police outlawed eco-mob assembling in London
- Soggy Extinction Rebellion protesters huddle together in a rain-soaked Trafalgar Square for a seventh day of eco-protests that have shut down swathes of central London
- Fridays for Horsepower: The German Motorists Who Oppose Greta Thunberg
- Google’s quantum bet on the future of AI—and what it means for humanity
- Whiting New Jersey Feeds Water to Aliens on Mars; Read All About It!
- 'Crossing the Atlantic with no fuel:' Can superyachts really go green?
- Family Vacationers Seek Quality Time in Mexico
- NGOs - The Self-Appointed Altruists
- Doctors and nurses join Extinction Rebellion protesters for demo at Shell's London HQ and on streets of central London as stretched police call in reinforcements from as far away as Scotland
- How Hulu’s zombie-comedy ‘Little Monsters’ scored big with Lupita Nyong’o, Taylor Swift, and Star Wars
- ORC candidates quizzed on future of farming
- Grateful Dead, Greta in Dakotas: News from around our 50 states
- Auckland's underwater future if the ice caps melt
‘My Octopus Teacher’ Outfit Off The Fence Takes International Rights On Eco Doc ‘Last Of The Right Whales’ have 566 words, post on deadline.com at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.