The U.S. Women's National Soccer Team is still alive in the Tokyo Olympics after a nervy penalty shootout victory over the Netherlands.
Team icon Megan Rapinoe scored the winning spot kick as the USWNT triumphed 4-2 on pens following a dramatic encounter.
The game finished 2-2 after the completion of an action-packed 90 minutes and extra-time. The Netherlands took the lead in the 18th minute via star player Miedema, before the U.S. hit back with two quick-fire goals in the 28th (Mewis) and 30th (Williams) minutes.
Miedema scored again to equalize in the 55th minute before Martens served the U.S. a lifeline by missing a penalty in the 81st minute. The U.S. also had two disallowed goals in extra-time in the rollercoaster match.
The game was a repeat of the 2019 World Cup Final, which saw the U.S. triumph 2-0.
Watch on Deadline
Next up for the USWNT will be Canada, who also progressed on penalties against Brazil earlier today.
- U.S. men’s soccer team misses Olympics again, longest drought in 50 years
- Tokyo Olympics schedule: daily roadmap to, through Olympic Games
- Brazil and Germany to meet in Rio repeat at Tokyo Olympics
- Fencing: Bhavani Devi snaps up ninth title at senior nationals after qualifying for Tokyo Olympics
- Kiria Tikanah becomes second Singapore fencer to qualify for Tokyo Olympics
- North Korea pulls out of Tokyo Olympics
- Japanese PM Suga Wants to Invite Biden for Tokyo Olympics During Upcoming Visit to US
- Elavenil included in Indian shooting team for Tokyo Olympics, Chinki in as reserve
- Long jumper Murli Sreeshankar qualifies for Tokyo Olympics, Dhanalakshmi beats Dutee Chand to win 100m gold
- Shooting: Indian team selection for Tokyo Olympics on April 3, NRAI to keep two reserves per event
- Neeraj, Hima set for training-cum-competition stint in Turkey ahead of Tokyo Olympics
- 'I couldn't even stand': Singapore windsurfer Amanda Ng overcomes injury to earn spot in Tokyo Olympics
- Peacock Teams With LeBron James And Maverick Carter’s Uninterrupted On Gymnastics Docuseries Ahead Of Tokyo Olympics
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju says country has a lot of expectations from shooting in Tokyo Olympics
- Eliud Kipchoge ready for Tokyo Olympics, clocks world-leading time in Netherlands
- Sailing: Singapore's Ryan Lo and Amanda Ng qualify for Tokyo Olympics after wins at Mussanah Open
- US, Canada Women's Soccer Teams Head to 2020 Olympics
- Tokyo Olympic torch relay stirs mixed emotions
- Tokyo Olympics torch relay gets underway in Fukushima’s shadow
- Tokyo Olympic Torch Relay Starts in Fukushima's Shadow
U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Through To Tokyo Olympic Semi-Final After Penalty Shootout Drama have 393 words, post on deadline.com at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.