Hate needles? Well, an oral coronavirus vaccine in the works could become the best protection against COVID-19 and its mutations … that’s the hope of one of the L.A. Lakers owners, anyway.
Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong is the founder of ImmunityBio as well as a Lakers co-owner, and his company is behind the tests being done at a research center in El Segundo, CA to determine if a series of pills can replace injections to inoculate the population.
Researchers are experimenting with healthy volunteers under the age of 55 who haven’t had COVID yet … with some getting shots, some getting capsules and some getting a combo.
Dr. Soon-Shiong says the value of ImmunityBio’s vaccine is that it generates “killer T cells” that target the center of the coronavirus, which is less prone to mutation. Current vaccines create antibodies to the spiky part of the virus on the surface.
Though researchers are hopeful the oral T-cell-creating approach may result in greater protection against COVID … the Lakers co-owner believes capsules and injections working together would be key. Sorry, needle haters.
It may still be a while before we find out, though — the oral vaccine is only in experimental stages, and test subjects will be closely monitored for the next 12 months.
- Argentine scientists working on COVID-19 vaccine, says gov't
- Miami-Dade Launches Phone Line To Make COVID-19 Vaccination Appointments
- ‘We’re Proud Of That,’ Gov. Ron DeSantis Says Florida Leads Nation In COVID-19 Vaccinations For Seniors
- New COVID-19 Vaccination Site Opens At Snyder Park In Fort Lauderdale
- Florida Establishes Pre-Registration Website For COVID-19 Vaccinations
- COVID-19 Vaccine Locator Website Launches In Florida
- Pentagon Evaluating Request for Help in Administering COVID-19 Vaccines
- China Conditionally OKs Public Use of 2nd COVID-19 Vaccine
- Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine Works, But Less So Against Variants
- South African President Urges Wealthy Nations Not to Hoard COVID-19 Vaccines
- ‘It’s A Literal Race Against The Virus’: Carbon Health’s Dr. Caesar Djavaherian On COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution
- UK Examines Whether Different COVID-19 Vaccines Can Be Used in 2-Shot Regimen
- Santa Clara County, 49ers Team Up To Launch Mass COVID-19 Vaccination Site At Levi’s Stadium
- WHO Cites Two Studies Showing Economic Impact of Equitable Access to COVID-19 Vaccines
- Tanzania's President Criticized for Dismissing COVID-19 Vaccines
- Biden: US Buying 200 Million More COVID-19 Vaccine Doses
- Public Health Experts Urge Caution on China’s COVID-19 Vaccines
- California Surpasses 4 Million COVID-19 Vaccinations; ‘Hope Is On The Horizon’
- WHO: COVID-19 Vaccination Inequities Becoming Apparent
- Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Not As Effective But Still ‘Will Make A Huge Difference,’ Doctor Says
Lakers Co-Owner Working on Oral COVID-19 Vaccine have 408 words, post on www.tmz.com at July 4, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.