Hate needles? Well, an oral coronavirus vaccine in the works could become the best protection against COVID-19 and its mutations … that’s the hope of one of the L.A. Lakers owners, anyway.
Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong is the founder of ImmunityBio as well as a Lakers co-owner, and his company is behind the tests being done at a research center in El Segundo, CA to determine if a series of pills can replace injections to inoculate the population.
Researchers are experimenting with healthy volunteers under the age of 55 who haven’t had COVID yet … with some getting shots, some getting capsules and some getting a combo.
Dr. Soon-Shiong says the value of ImmunityBio’s vaccine is that it generates “killer T cells” that target the center of the coronavirus, which is less prone to mutation. Current vaccines create antibodies to the spiky part of the virus on the surface.
Though researchers are hopeful the oral T-cell-creating approach may result in greater protection against COVID … the Lakers co-owner believes capsules and injections working together would be key. Sorry, needle haters.
It may still be a while before we find out, though — the oral vaccine is only in experimental stages, and test subjects will be closely monitored for the next 12 months.
- Zimbabwe launches vaccine drive in bid to bring cholera outbreak under control
- Peter Crouch's Premier League team-by-team guide 2018-19
- The flu vaccine for children
- Meet the vet who wants to treat every homeless owner's dog
- Why No Deal Brexit means some pet owners should visit a vet as soon as possible
- 'When the next major pandemic threat comes, I worry that people will hold off on vaccines'
- NBA Magic owner Richard DeVos dead at 92
- The dog that saved my life...Three owners who would be lost without their loyal pup
- Mike Ashley Sky interview: NUFC owner spoke out one year ago today
- Lounge owner faces federal charges
- NHL 19: Release Date, Player Ratings, HUT news, and new features for new PS4, Xbox game
- Pope drawn into study on abusive priest who worked with street children
- FEMA working with GovGuam on post-typhoon reimbursements
- Premier League 2018-19 definitive club-by-club guide: Likely line-ups, best signings
- Owners of crumbling historic house fined
- EA set FIFA 19 demo release amid latest player ratings news
- Lord's cricket wrangle rumbles on for 19 years
- New owners of Kenwick Park Hotel in Louth set to upgrade facilities
- New owners for The Ship at Dunwich and the Westleton Crown
- 'Treasure hunt' rings reunited with owner
Lakers Co-Owner Working on Oral COVID-19 Vaccine have 397 words, post on www.tmz.com at July 4, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.