Hate needles? Well, an oral coronavirus vaccine in the works could become the best protection against COVID-19 and its mutations … that’s the hope of one of the L.A. Lakers owners, anyway.
Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong is the founder of ImmunityBio as well as a Lakers co-owner, and his company is behind the tests being done at a research center in El Segundo, CA to determine if a series of pills can replace injections to inoculate the population.
Researchers are experimenting with healthy volunteers under the age of 55 who haven’t had COVID yet … with some getting shots, some getting capsules and some getting a combo.
Dr. Soon-Shiong says the value of ImmunityBio’s vaccine is that it generates “killer T cells” that target the center of the coronavirus, which is less prone to mutation. Current vaccines create antibodies to the spiky part of the virus on the surface.
Though researchers are hopeful the oral T-cell-creating approach may result in greater protection against COVID … the Lakers co-owner believes capsules and injections working together would be key. Sorry, needle haters.
It may still be a while before we find out, though — the oral vaccine is only in experimental stages, and test subjects will be closely monitored for the next 12 months.
- Dunbar dentists carrying out work in Cambodia
- Rat infestation lands Dudley shop owner with £19,000 fine
- Golf: Work underway to complete course renovation at Stoke Park Golf Club
- What is cholera? Vaccine, definition, symptoms and treatment of the waterborne disease
- Teenage girl who suffered devastating health problems after swine flu vaccine denied payout
- Dog owner’s despair after being forced to cut off his pet’s HEAD so it could be tested for rabies in harrowing clip
- Special deal for Luton pet owners on a low income
- Man jailed for 13 hour rape and sexual assault of woman after abducting her child has sentence increased to 19 years
- Dozens of pet dogs snatched from their heartbroken owners are saved from being boiled alive and EATEN
- Teenager, 16, reveals how £19 tea tree oil cream cleared her acne in a month
- Meningitis alert after tragic death of talented Halifax rugby player, 19
- Think you’ve got Aussie flu? How to tell if you’re too sick to go to work
- Weird Norfolk: The ghost of 19 Magdalen Street, Norwich
- Call the Cleaners: Expert cleaners come across the filthiest home they’ve ever seen in their 19-year careers
- Restaurant owner wins award for charity work
- Could the diversity of routes into work help solve East Anglia’s skills crisis?
- Islamabad owner backs team to bounce back in PSL3
- Screwfix and B&Q’s owner claim they are turning DIY giants around as company exceeds profit targets
- Waterford owner Lee Power believes they can become one of the biggest clubs in the country
- Opel's new owners: No factory closures or layoffs for now
Lakers Co-Owner Working on Oral COVID-19 Vaccine have 459 words, post on www.tmz.com at July 4, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.