"I think he's right that it is at a low point, and it depends on how he responds to acting consistent with international norms, which in many cases he has not," said Biden, at his first overseas press conference in Cornwall, England, the site of the G7 meeting.
Biden said that he had previously informed Putin that he would respond if it was found that the Russian president was engaged in cyber security breaches and election interference. "I did and I checked it out, so I had access to all the intelligence, he was engaged in those activities. I did respond and made it clear that I would respond again."
Biden answered questions from six reporters at the press conference. The AP's Jonathan Lemiere asked Biden about Putin's comments but also the fact that there would be no joint press conference, as has been a tradition, with the Russian leader after their meeting on Wednesday.
"I don't mean that the press should not know, but this is not a contest about who can do better in front of a press conference and try to embarrass each other. It's about making myself very clear what the conditions are to get a better relationship … with Russia. We're not looking for conflict. We are looking to resolve those actions we believe are inconsistent with international norms." He said that they also will talk about where they can work together, perhaps on climate. He also said that he was open to Putin's offer of handing over cyber criminals if the U.S. did the same.
Biden, asked by NBC News' Peter Alexander about changing Putin's behavior, was a bit more sobering that that would happen. "He's Vladimir Putin."
Biden also addressed a G-7 Communique which calls for investigating the Covid-19 origins in China . That has been a focus of U.S. intelligence, as to whether the coronavirus origins came from a bat-to-human transmission or from a lab in Wuhan province, or an "experiment gone awry," Biden said. "It's important to know the answer to that," he said.
- Republicans Pan Trump's 'Bizarre' Press Conference With Putin
- Trump faces bipartisan criticism over press conference with Putin
- What Agreements Did Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin Reach in Closed-Door Meeting? Russian Leader Says He Got a Deal
- Vladimir Putin brands Syria air strikes an ‘act of aggression’ as Russia warns of ‘consequences’ over bombing raids
- 'Donald Trump Is Adopting Vladimir Putin’s Position' On Intelligence, the Military, MSNBC Host Says
- Five Highlights from Putin’s Year-End Press Conference
- Vladimir Putin, Not Donald Trump, Knows the Real Art of the Deal
- Did Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin Agree on Plan to End Syrian Civil War?
- What We Know About Joe Biden’s Record on School Busing
- Vladimir Putin says he's invited President Trump to Moscow for second meeting
- Lindsey Graham, Susan Collins defend Joe Biden amid touching sllegations
- Former Vice President Joe Biden calls for national unity
- Elizabeth Warren Says She Believes Lucy Flores’ Account Of Joe Biden’s Unwanted Kiss
- Former Vice President Joe Biden not ruling out 2020 presidential run
- Joe Biden's team considering Beto O’Rourke as 2020 running mate
- Joe Biden does not want Democrats to impeach President Trump
- Joe Biden criticizes 'white man's culture,' role in Hill hearing
- Two more women accuse Joe Biden of 'uncomfortable' touching
- Trump-Putin Press Conference: The Most Jaw-Dropping Moments
- 5 takeaways from the Trump-Putin press conference
Joe Biden Agrees U.S.-Russia Relations “At A Low Point,” Defends Decision To Forgo Joint Press Conference With Vladimir Putin have 634 words, post on deadline.com at June 13, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.