Khanh Hoa (VNA) – The august and majestic statue of the late legendary general Vo Nguyen Giap in a park on Son Ca Island of the Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelago brings all who visit the island a range of emotions beyond words.
The General Vo Nguyen Giap Park covers an area of 400 square metres, with the general's statue at its centre. The monolithic sandstone bust, 1.76 metres high, was carved by sculptor Le Dinh Ban in December 2015.
Behind the statue is a semi-circular ceramic wall displaying 300 images of the life and career of General Giap, his close relationship with the Vietnam People's Army, and famous battles and victories in the resistance wars against French colonialists and US imperialists.
Construction of the park began in 2015 and was completed in May 2016.
The park expresses the deep sentiments of soldiers on Truong Sa and the Vietnam People's Navy in general towards General Giap, the Commander-in-Chief of Vietnam's armed forces, who devoted his life to the nation and people of Vietnam.
With his talent and dedication, General Giap has become a spiritual fulcrum of the people and soldiers of the Truong Sa archipelago. His statue strengthens their belief and encourages them to safeguard the nation's sovereignty over its seas and islands.
General Vo Nguyen Giap (1911-2013) directly led major campaigns during Vietnam's wars against the French and the US. His name is closely linked to the historic victory at Dien Bien Phu in 1954, which put an end to French colonialism in the country. He was also instrumental in fighting the American imperialists, who replaced the French colonialists.
As an eminent student close to President Ho Chi Minh, General Giap was loved and respected by the people and international friends and has been a source of pride for generations of officers and soldiers nationwide./.
- Needy troops and people receive gifts
- Frontline firefighters honoured at 2019 Pride of Australia Awards
- GDP leader’s activities in Cao Bang
- MobiFone-AVG deal goes to court
- The untold story behind Chu Dau ceramic world record
- The untold story of record-breaking Chu Dau Ceramic’s calligraphy icon
- Local firms urged to engage more in CSR activities
- Ill mother wishes better life for her children
- Exclusive long read: UN Mission in South Sudan – Vietnamese doctors helping to heal the wounds
- Exclusive long read: UN Mission in South Sudan – Vietnamese doctors help heal the wounds
- AVG ex-chairman arrested for bribery
- Annual book fair to open during Tet in HCM City
- Defense leaders join various gratitude activities
- Meaningful activities for revolutionary contributors conducted nationwide
- PV Gas conducts medical examination and treatment in Ca Mau
- Springfield of Dreams: 150 Best ‘Simpsons’ Episodes
General Vo Nguyen Giap statue a pride of Truong Sa people and soldiers have 469 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at May 22, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.