Hollywood is slowly catching up with its increasingly diverse audience. But it still has a long way to go before those who create films and TV shows match the ethnic and gender makeup of those who watch them. Dr. Darnell Hunt , dean of UCLA's Division of Social Sciences and professor of Sociology and African American Studies, has been following these trends for more than two decades. Speaking today at SAG-AFTRA's #Stop the Hate Week, he provided eight years of data showing that Hollywood has been making steady gains in diversity and inclusion. But it has been so far behind the diversity curve for so long that it will have to redouble its efforts if it ever hopes to reach true parity. "Somewhere around 2043, demographers tell us, the US will become a majority minority country," he said. "In fact, we're becoming more diverse by a little bit less than half a percent each year in terms of people of color's share of the population." In 1960, minorities made up only about 15% of the U.S. population, and now account for more than 40%. Related Story SAG-AFTRA Panel Explores New Opportunities For Native Americans "What this means is that the… Read full this story
- Coronavirus child care pinch in U.S. poses threat to economic gains of working women
- I'm not hysterical: Matt Hancock denies overreacting to rising infections as he defends increase in self-isolation times to TEN days for people testing positive or showing symptoms - and says a 'second wave is rolling across Europe'
- Meet the Black Women Defending Trump’s Record on Race
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump takes credit for Obama’s gains for vets
- On House floor, Dem women call out abusive treatment by men
- Kanye West's mental health battle is a wake-up call for empathy
- COVID-19 childcare burden 'destroying' mothers' careers
- Coronavirus latest: Mandatory airport tests for at-risk German returnees
- Victims' Commissioner Dame Vera Baird blasts 'utterly shameful' record low level of rape convictions as alarming figures reveal just 1.4 per cent of 55,130 attacks recorded by police led to a prosecution
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Biden says many Americans "view me as the antithesis of Trump"
SAG-AFTRA’s Stop The Hate Week: UCLA’s Darnell Hunt Offers Data Showing Gains By Women & Minorities have 360 words, post on deadline.com at April 16, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.