Daniel Brühl skewers celebrity privilege in his directing debut, playing a narcissistic version of himself who gets knocked from his perch by Peter Kurth’s resentful neighbor in gentrified East Berlin. There’s sardonic self-deprecation in the part Daniel Brühl has chosen for himself in his first feature as director, that of a European movie star sweating over an audition for a Hollywood superhero film that stands to push his fame — and his bank account — to the next level. But celebrity entitlement is only one part of the package. It eventually takes a back seat to gentrification when the protagonist’s obliviousness to those left behind in the moneyed makeover of post-reunification East Berlin comes back to bite him in his self-absorbed ass. An amusing, accomplished debut on its own modest terms, Next Door works best as tart meta comedy, becoming increasingly cramped in scope and setting as it spirals into an obsessive revenge thriller. Fans of the actor will enjoy spotting the parallels to his own career, with a Stasi film that corresponds to Brühl’s homegrown breakout hit Good Bye, Lenin! , a period detective series that sounds a lot like The Alienist and an all-important screen test to play… Read full this story
- Tokyo Film Review: ‘Motel Acacia’
- Tokyo Film Review: ‘A Beloved Wife’
- Film Review: ‘Love is Blind’
- 45 Years review – Tom Courtenay and Charlotte Rampling superb as couple freshly possessed by the past
- M review – Fritz Lang's superb thriller fascinates
- French court allows release of Francois Ozon's Church abuse film
- Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Review: Intoxicating mix of history and hearsay
- Ready or Not review: "riotous blood-soaked black comedy horror guarantees a gory good time"
- The Seasons in Quincy: Four Portraits of John Berger review - Tilda Swinton's demonstration of affection
- A Fantastic Woman review – timeless trans tale stands alongside Almodóvar
'Next Door' ('Nebenan'): Film Review | Berlin 2021 have 305 words, post on www.hollywoodreporter.com at April 3, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.