The new HBO mystery miniseries Mare of Easttown begins with establishing shots of its titular location in southeastern Pennsylvania. The sky is gray. The little houses, most of them built out of worn red brick, all sit on top of one another. Any paint in sight is faded and peeling. It is a depressing place, full of depressing people. When a newcomer tells Mare Sheehan herself ( Kate Winslet ) that the area seems OK to him, she replies, "Give it time." You cannot accuse Mare of Easttown of false advertising, that's for sure. The tone of the show is as dour as those early glimpses of its setting, to the point where it can be unnerving in the rare moments where someone briefly smiles or, somehow, some way, laughs. Created by Brad Ingelsby (whose Ben Affleck movie The Way Back was also quite glum) and directed by Craig Zobel ( The Leftovers ), the series is well-acted and can at times be gripping, but it seems happiest when it's wallowing in the suffering of Mare and everyone she knows. Related Reviews Trailers of the Week: ‘Allen v. Farrow,’ ‘Cruella,’ ‘Dancing With the Devil,’ and More Kate Winslet Investigates a… Read full this story
- Prime suspects triumph at Oscars
- And the monologue goes to: Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg, Steve Martin.. who was the best Oscars host?
- Who is Evan Rachel Wood, is she returning to Westworld as Dolores Abernathy and what were the star’s rape allegations?
- How a horse cured my lifelong insomnia: She's tried eye masks, ear plugs, and even antidepressants to tackle her chronic inability to sleep. Now HANNAH BETTS shares the one treatment that finally worked...
- Rio 2016: Violence seeps back into city's favelas
- And the winner is… Becky with the good hair! It's the alternative 2016 awards
- There Are Not a Lot of Reasons to Watch
- Everything We Know About the New York Prison Break
‘Mare of Easttown’: Kate Winslet Takes a Bite Out of Crime have 316 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at April 13, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.