President Joe Biden intends to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan by September 11th, 2021, an extension of a May 1st, 2021 deadline negotiated by former president Trump with the Taliban. The president plans to announce his decision on Wednesday, according to the Washington Post , which broke the story, and other outlets. Although the Taliban has threatened to renew attacks if the U.S. and NATO do not adhere to the deadline, it is not yet apparent if pushing the date back by months will lead to retaliation. The nearly 20-year war in Afghanistan has had dire consequences. The Costs of War Project at Brown University's Watson Institute estimates as of January 2020 that 157,000 people in Afghanistan have been killed in the war since 2001, and more than 43,000 of those killed were civilians. More than 2,300 U.S. troops were killed in the conflict, according to the publication Stars and Stripes. The war has also "exacerbated the effects of poverty, malnutrition, poor sanitation, lack of access to health care, and environmental degradation on Afghans' health," the project says. Related Stories Ciara, Russell Wilson to Host Vaccination Special With Barack Obama, Joe Biden Biden Creates Commission to Explore Supreme Court Reform… Read full this story
- Civilian deaths in Afghanistan reached 9-year peak in 2018
- Afghanistan: Several dead after Kabul car bomb blast
- Afghanistan's president rejects foreign interference
- Taliban founder lived near US military base in Afghanistan: report
- Russia Willing to Help Donald Trump Get U.S. Troops Out of Afghanistan
- Afghanistan: Is 'Islamic State' taking advantage of US-Taliban peace talks?
- Afghanistan prisoner swap delayed, complicating efforts to restart talks with Taliban
- Joe Biden: The Rolling Stone Interview
- Joe Biden: Iraq close to forming new government
- Andrew McCarthy: The Taliban will soon be ruling Afghanistan (again)
Biden to Pledge September 11th Withdrawal of U.S. Troops From Afghanistan have 286 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at April 13, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.