Larry McMurtry, the Texas novelist known for American West epics like Lonesome Dove and the Oscar-winning screenplay for Brokeback Mountain , has died. McMurtry's death on Thursday was first reported by The New York Times . He was 84. Born in Wichita Falls, Texas, in 1936, McMurtry was a prolific author with an uncanny gift for making a lengthy opus like Lonesome Dove — all 843 pages — eminently readable. The page-turning tale of two grizzled cowboys on a cattle drive from Texas to Montana in the mid-19th century won a Pulitzer Prize in 1986. First published in 1985, it was adapted into a CBS-TV miniseries starring Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones in 1989. Along with Lonesome Dove , McMurtry wrote critically acclaimed novels like 1966's The Last Picture Show and 1975's Terms of Endearment . Both were adapted for the big screen. In 2006, he and his collaborator Diana Ossana, with whom he once lived, won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for their work on Brokeback Mountain , adapting Annie Proulx's short story about an illicit romance between two cowboys. He famously accepted his Oscar in blue jeans and cowboy boots. Related Stories George Segal, ‘The Goldbergs’… Read full this story
- Larry McMurtry, author of the new novel "The Last Kind Words Saloon," on the end of the Wild West
- Jerry Tarkanian, Hall of Fame coach of UNLV Runnin’ Rebels, dead at 84
- Arizona temp records toppled by deadly heat wave
- Hatchet-wielding man shot dead by NYPD cops in Queens; police eye possible terrorism motive
- What's your summer reading list?
- Sally Field, Stephen King to be honored with National Medal of Arts from President Obama
- President Obama presents Sally Field with National Medal of Arts: 'We like you, we really like you'
- Local Super Bowl heroes: New Jersey
- How Pluto put Lowell Observatory on the map
Larry McMurtry, ‘Lonesome Dove’ Novelist, Dead at 84 have 298 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at March 26, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.